New CCNA, no experience, where to find a job?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Arg, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Arg

Arg New Member

Hi

I just passed my CCNA
    Last years I spent in cctv industry, alarms, data cabling, I have lot of experience in it, pulled thousands miles of cables, and I was always told CCNA qualifications could help me to get better job, I did a course in a college, passed it last week, tried to apply for jobs but requirements are to have few years of experience in routers and switches configurations. Who knows where I could get a job in it, even low paid, in West Midlands?

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Sorry to say this but as you so rightly said it the CCNA is expected to be held by someone with a couple of years experience, you need to get that experience before anyone will give you the chance to be let loose on their networking infrastructure.

If I were you I would be aiming a little lower, something like a service desk engineer, gain some IT experience and look to moving in to a networking team in the future (ideally you would want a decent understanding of server and rack hardware before moving in to a pure networking role.

It's a very brave (or incredibly stupid) man that lets a freshly certified but lacking commercial experience engineer loose on their network because quite simply it could cost them millions if you **** up the config.

If I were you I would drop the CCNA from the CV and grab the N+ or A+ certs and start from there (I don't really believe in the CompTIA exams but they would certainly be better for you at this stage of your career than the CCNA is).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA