new career CCNA

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by ziyadIT, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Adzmobile

Adzmobile Nibble Poster

Hi Ziyad,

Hope you have managed to get a job now... Seems like you been working very hard and I know just how hard it can be to break into the IT industry. I can understand the fustration when you work extremely hard to earn certs and still have no response. I am a IT graduate and was originally looking for a job for around 7 months when i started out.

Firstly my advise from experience/people spoken to, is that CCNA is a qualification that is very credible however it is definatley not a starting point.. not by a long shot... there is no chance any company will let you even touch servers as a entry level even if you was to get 100% in your examination... unless your very lucky of course but 99/100 its a no.

Although this sounds very negative its still very useful to have and will come in handy later. Also i see you passed A+ well done.. and this is much more relevant along with N+.. or things like MCSE exams.. start off with 270 perhaps troubleshooting Windows XP.. Dont go crazy on certs you will run out of steam eventually... you can just put on your CV and say you gone through the course.. Personally i found it to be good enough...

Firstly you need to try get 1st line support roles because the corporate working environment is miles different from anything you set up at home..even if you think you know your stuff.. as you will no doubt find out... and there is more to IT than just troubleshooting servers all day long.. You will need to learn everything from Active Directory, Exchange, Troubleshooting Microsoft Office..Windows.. Installations and just carrying out a wide variety of different tasks. The way i broke into IT was going on a training course called JBC Training.. if you are currently unemployed you should be able to get a government sponsor otherwise its very expensive around the 4-5k mark.

The course allows you to put on your CV some experience doing things like pc builds, networking, learning about imaging and doing basic support.. more importantly they give you a very good idea how to taylor your CV for support analyst roles. It will give you the opportunity to look like a entry level candidate and along with your certs show you are enthusiastic..

I think people are right to say you shouldn't put CCNA on your CV yet... because you then place yourself out of the market.. because for basic support you are over qualified and placed yourself out the market.. and also and you dont have enough experience for server roles..

I been in IT for around 2/3 years now.. I'm pretty solid on 1st/2nd line roles now tring to get into 3rd line (server side) so thats the reason for me doing CCNA. I think you should also try do some volunteer work even if its for a month or 2 so that you can put various bits of info on CV so you get out of that no experience catch 22 situation.

Sorry if this didnt really make much sence kinda late lol... Its the best advise i can give.. it is tough industry with alot of competition.. but inshallah you will get there!

Certifications: Commvault Administrator, CCNA, ITILv3, CCA for XenApp 6, CCAA for XenApp 6.5, CCA for XenDesktop 5, CCA for NetScaler 9.2, CCA for XenServer 6,VMware VCP5, VSTP 5, HP SMB Storage, Citrix Certified Enterprise Engineer (CCEE), EMCISA, VCAP-DCA
    WIP: DCUCI