New Build Trouble!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jimbooo, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Jimbooo

Jimbooo Nibble Poster

Right guys, I need some help!

I'm pretty pi$$ed because.. my mobo wont post! No beeps, no nothing. Can't find anything on google. Have done CMOS resets, taken the ram out etc... I think the ASUS P5K-E/Wifi AP has an inbuilt speaker because I can see a tiny lil thing on the board that is labelled "Buzzer" with a little speaker sign.

Note: I do get all my fans running, including my graphics card fan and CPU fan.

I put in my old Geforce 7600GT (currently in use in my old computer - the one I'm using) into my new computer and nothing came on screen. I get no beeps, even without Ram, but whatever happens even when removing the Sata HD and the Sata DVD RW, the graphics card and the ram, there's no beeps. What can I do? :cry:

Motherboard: ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    PSU: Coolermaster eXtreme Power 650W PSU - ATX 12V V2.01 120mm Fan 20+4pin
    Memory/Ram: Corsair 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory
    Hard Drive/Storage: Maxtor ST3410000340AS 1TB Hard Drive SATA300 7200rpm 32MB Cache
    Disk Drive: Samsung SH-S203D 20X DVD±RW/RAM/DL Serial ATA Black Bare Drive – OEM
    Case: NZXT Lexa Blackline Case
    GPU: (For Testing atm) My old XFX Geforce 7600 GT

If anyone needs pictures for wiring or anything then I can take them on my phone and upload them. Only problem is I need to find the fault ASAP because I only have a few more days to send items back under DSR!

Certifications: 4 A-Levels
    WIP: BSc (Hons) Computing
  2. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Have you reset the BIOS?

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  3. Jimbooo

Jimbooo Nibble Poster

I've done the rest where you take the battery out, change the jumper etc..

It doesn't even get to bios as I can't find anything on screen.

4. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Okay, is there a little display on the motherboard displaying hex codes? Any LEDs lit on it?

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  5. Jimbooo

Jimbooo Nibble Poster

No hex codes or display.

There is one green light which says whether it's on or not I think.

The green light is on when I switch the power on and stays on.

6. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

You need to take the mobo back to basics. Connect up the minimum you need to make it work, CPU in, power supply, one stick of RAM, one HDD, one graphics card. You have the case speaker connected to the mobo? Is your CPU seated properly? See what happens then. If that does not work try a different power supply, then different RAM et al to identify whats causing it to fail.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  7. Jimbooo

Jimbooo Nibble Poster

The case doesn't have a speaker. I thought that the mobo had one onboard? I don't have any different ram, but if the power supply was failing then it wouldn't come on would it?

I actually ordered two mobos, the other is downstairs, but I don't want to go opening it unless I know my mobo is the problem.

8. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Might seem a daft question but does the board have on-board graphics ?

I have known someone sit for ages beacuse they hadn't set it to the graphics card instead of the onboard and had the monitor connected to wrong VGA :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  9. Jimbooo

Jimbooo Nibble Poster

Hehe nope it doesn't have onboard graphics!

10. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

11. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I have the P5K Premium mobo, there is no speaker onboard. I would say yours is the same. It would explain why you are not hearing any POST beeps. Have a look in your mobo manual, if there is a connection for a case speaker one will need to be connected to get the audible beeps.

Just use one or the RAM sticks you have in the slot closest to the CPU, don't put all the RAM stickes in till you get it going. A failing power supply could stop the PC booting up, or could make it reboot or blue screen after some use, you can get a number of different symptoms with a bad power supply.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  12. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

13. Jimbooo

Jimbooo Nibble Poster

Seen that post already :( I can't actually get into the Bios to because nothing comes up on screen.
    I checked that my ram is the correct type too..

14. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

If the fans are spinning up then you are likely to have enough power. Can I ask why you ordered to mobos but dont want to use the other one?

As NightWalker said take everything off and then build up ensuring that everything is sat correctly and that the motherboard isnt shorting itself on the case.

If it still doesnt work I would be tempted to try the other board, if it still doesnt work then its either the CPU or the Ram.

Hope you work it out.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  15. Jimbooo

Jimbooo Nibble Poster

The first mobo wasn't supposed to arrive until a week away because Advancetec told me they didn't have any in stock when they checked. So naturally, it arrived the following morning, and I had ordered another mobo from Ebuyer instead and intended to use the Ebuyer one (arriving the following morning) and send the advancetec mobo back when it came - basically it allowed me to get my mobo sooner!

16. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Check the mobo for extra power connectors and then make sure all of them are connected. So as well as the main 20/24pin connector, there could also be an extra molex socket on the board and also a P4 supply socket near to the processor socket.

Also have you tried your lower spec (presumably) but known working PSU on this board to see if it makes a difference?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  17. Jimbooo

Jimbooo Nibble Poster

There's a 20/24 pin connector on the right of the board and attached to that is another 4 pin.. I got both the wires into that and also there's a third 4 pin connector at the top of the board. I put em all in.

I suppose I could try ripping out my old PSU and getting it connected to my new mobo, but might it really be the PSU that's the problem if all the fans are starting up, the led's too etc..?

EDIT: I also took my old speaker cable out of my old computer and attached it to my new one. Still no beeps even when I have no ram / gpu in!

18. Jimbooo

Jimbooo Nibble Poster

Guys, I think I might be the biggest dumbass ever..

My Geforce 7600GT is old, so I thought it'd work, but the box says that the memory type is DDR3.

My ASUS P5K-E doesn't support DDR3! Could this be the problem? I just need to shove in another GPU??

19. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

The ram on your graphics card shouldn't be anything to do with what the board supports - that's talking about the ram slots on the m/b.

However, there could be voltage issues for the agp slot.

20. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

The memory on your GFX card has no bearing on the type of main memory your main board supports.

The memory on the card is addressed by the GPU, not your main system. Basically, as long as you have the correct type of interface on the card and mobo (PCIE in this case) then it will work.

Another thought though, does the GFX card require a power connector? That could stop the system from posting if it's not connected.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada