New Build - Routers and OS Virtualisation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TommyTee, Mar 27, 2010.

1. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

Hi guys, ima little out of the loop about these things. I am thinking about buying a whole new computer but i'm just looking for some advice on CPU and amount/type of RAM:

1. I would like to be able to run big GNS3 labs, I guess in the next couple years I will be doing CCNP stuff.

2. Typically for VMware scenarios in MCSA do I basically just require 1 server and a couple hosts running? so 1gb allocated for the server and 512mb for clients? Or are there much bigger scenarios.

I don't upgrade often so happy to spend on things that I will need.

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

General consensus is put as much ram into a box as you can, I have boxes with between 1gb (UMPC) and 64gb (vsphere) and everything in between (4, 8 and 16). As far as CPUs go, as long as it supports either AMD-V or Intel VT you will be fine.

I should also add that anything over 4gb of ram will require a 64bit OS.

If I were in your shoes (and assuming you aren't a gamer) I would go for one of the Intel 775 quad core processors with an X48 chipset (rather than the Nvidia which can be a tad clunky). They are cheaper and allow you to use ddr2 rather than the more expensive ddr3 ram as well.

As far as MCSA\MCSE goes, it's always better to have multiple servers \ workstations because you can play with sites\ou's\replication etc with more hardware.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

Many thanks, gives me a better perspective. I kinda thought DDR3 would be worth the added extra expensive as it will last a little longer if I change computers at all in the future.

Edit - I'm not a gamer gamer, i.e. not into benchmarking etc, as long as it's ok for modern games at ok frames i'm not too fused.

I've been researching today:

Intel:

The i7 looks great and would mean that I could have 12gb (2x6gb kits) of decent RAM as Intel boards have 6 slots, some partriot ram is around £120 for 6GB

AMD:

Interested to see how the upcoming 6-core Thuban turns out. Problem I see with AMD is the boards have a max of 4 dimms, I couldn't have 2x6gb kits of ddr3 and if I was to get 8GB I either max out the slots on the board with 4x2gb and have no expansion if I need it later. With this route it's like £100 per 4GB.

I suppose 8GB would be ok, I just don't want to restrict myself in anyway.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I have a couple of high spec machines waiting to be built (I have a Skulltrail and two 5450 cpus and an i7 950) but I haven't built them yet simply because my [email protected] and 8gb hasn't got any issues with what I currently throw at it. I actually have 12gb to put into the i7 and 8gb of FBDimms into the ST as well.

I really wouldn't bother too much with anything but the 775 for a while yet but obviously it's up to you.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

I am 775 all the way I think, i'm just going to hold out to see if the thubans bring anything new to the table. Thought I can't see them exactly whipping the i7's I kinda have it in my head that the 2 extra cores would be useful and and to futureproofing a touch more.

Does vmware workstation (I think that is the one everyone still uses.. been a while) support HT that is foudn in i7 chips?

Just wish damn ssd's would drop in price, the c300 128gb I want is £320, gahh.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010