New Boy

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Ryo Hazuki, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Ryo Hazuki

Ryo Hazuki Bit Poster

Just signed up today to get information learning and advice really because I've just signed up for Advent Training if anyones heard of it?

This 'advisor' came over discussed career opportunities and said I could easily get MCP level in 3 months and be working guaranteed?

What your opinions of this

BTW I had to sign up for Barclays Bank cos it costs £6250? a bit expensive don't you think?

About to send the documents to them now. Have i made the right choice or shall i leave it?

Many Thanks ?:( :( :twisted: :rolleyes: :eek:

Certifications: none
    WIP: mcp
  2. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=14277&highlight=advent

it's true. I mean MCP in 3 mts, not sure about the work :)
    I can't say they'r too fast in my case...

I have a loan via one of the advent's partners and it was about 4.5k but it all depends on %%% you know..

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  3. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Welcome:D . You could self study for a tenth of that but check out other posts about Advent to see what other people say.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

First - Hi and welcome to CF!

Which MCP? You get MCP status when you pass one of many possibles produced by Microsoft.

If you have good experience you should be able to do one of the simpler exams in 3 months. But that price is ridiculous for just one MCP!

And there is no such thing as a guaranteed job!

Have a look through the various postings here to get a better feel for what is possible.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

Welcome to CF.
    Training provider vs self study is a personal choice and one that shouldn't be taken lightly.

Good luck

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. Ryo Hazuki

Ryo Hazuki Bit Poster

So what your saying is this salesman has given false illegal information?

No What i meant was 6K for the whole MCSE/MCDBA course over 2 years

oh no so you havent got a job yet after 3 months? havent Advent lined you up like they said they would?

7. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

well they will start 'looking' for a job for you then.
    it simpli means that you'll get on the mailing list and start getting jobs offers from them.

8. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

I wouldnt say giving false illegal information, just bending it a little. The only way they could find you a guaranteed job would be to employ you themselves.

Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  9. Ryo Hazuki

Ryo Hazuki Bit Poster

oh dear, shall i just leave it then cos I cant afford to be taken for a mug again. I am graduate you see and I thought this would help get me a job:oops:

10. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome to CF :D

If you search the forums, I'm certain you will find all the opinions you need to make an informative decision.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

This is a decision you need to make.
    Just like you would read up on a holiday destination/ travel company before you pay, make sure you are happy with all the questions you have asked before agreeing to anything.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  12. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

then take the red yyyyy blue pill :)

13. Ryo Hazuki

Ryo Hazuki Bit Poster

lol this isnt helping guys, i need real advice man like whether i should do it or not cos im screwed if i take the wrong route in life, i guess im gona have to sleep on this one :eek: n decide after holiday

14. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

At the end of the day mate, everyone's different, and no one knows you as well as you do, gotta make your own decisions :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

I *always* recommend self-study methods. I have yet to take a training course for any of my certifications, and I've got a bunch.

As was stated above, everyone's different. Perhaps you don't study well without external motivation, or perhaps you don't study well from books. That said, I'd certainly try self-study before plopping down £6250 of my hard-earned cash.

As was stated before, there's no such thing as a guaranteed job. Certifications won't guarantee you a job. A degree won't guarantee you a job. Even skills won't absolutely guarantee you a job. Certainly certifications and degrees and skills will HELP you become more employable. But how can anyone guarantee you a job unless they are the ones who are hiring you for the job?

Best of luck to you.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Welcome to CF!:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  17. Ryo Hazuki

Ryo Hazuki Bit Poster

Ok I've finially made up my mind on what to do after reading the forums and being given advice and decided not to throw away 6K in one basket without knowing what im getting myself into.

and so the story goes on.. I am going to study for the exam because it doesn't seem so difficult and Advent probably just give you what you can find out for yourself anyway

Goodluck for those of you who joined them and thanks for all your efforts and to admin, I look forward to studying and reading books and checking the forums to learn lol:)

18. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good choice :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  19. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Greetings & Welcome to CF:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  20. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Take it one step at a time mate. Get the Mike Meyers A+ book and self study the first step. Then you will have an indication of how to proceed.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685