New beginner Comptia A+

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by PC, Feb 23, 2009.

1. PC

PC New Member

Hi everyone
    What a great forum (Wow) I like many of the people in this forum are interested in doing the CompTia A+. It all started last week when i contacted skill train for a online course , as yet i haven't heard anything from them. I then came upon this forum where it is mentioned to self study yourself which i already do with the open university doing some varied computer courses, however i need some recognised qualifications that will hopefully lead to employment. Having read some of the messages on this forum it would seem i need to start with the essentials exam ? if so what books do i need to read and is self study a better option that online courses obviously it will be cheaper. With regards to the exams the essentials and technician how much does each one cost and if you fail do you have to pay for it again.

Cheers PC

2. mattprince

mattprince Bit Poster

Hi,

For the A+ the general opinion is to get this book..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Certification-All-One-Guide-Sixth/dp/0072263113

Matt

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+, N+ and MCDST
  3. PC

PC New Member

Hi Matt thanks for your quick response have ordered the book from Amazon seems its the most talked about book on this forum.

Pc

4. mattprince

mattprince Bit Poster

Hi,

Forgot to mention. You might want to get Pc Technician Street Smarts aswell as thats highly recommended here too

Matt

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+, N+ and MCDST
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

Good luck with the certs.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome and good luck in your certification quest!

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I can't say if any online courses are a better option than self-study because I haven't done any. I've found there are enough free, legitimate resources out there (including these very forums) to supplement the recommended texts though.
    I'd save my cash for buying a decent set of practice exams when you feel you're ready.

The exams cost me £110 each recently and yes, you have to pay again if you fail.

Useful sites:
    certguard.com Look on here to verify whether any online resources you find are legitimate or not.
    professormesser-Free online video course covering all the 601 and 602 material.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  9. PC

PC New Member

Thanks for the info and related sites appreciate it . Where can you get practice exams from and how much will they cost.

10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

practice exams can be expensive but some are well worth it. I had the exam practice packs from Transcender and Preplogic and have recently been reviewing Bosons practice exams which are far by the best visit www.boson.com to purchase.

You will get a few free practice exams with the Mike Meyers AIO book and you could visit www.proprofs.com for some free practice exams.

BTW the two A+ exams cost 110+VAT each but you can buy two discount vouchers from www.gracetechsolutions.com where the price is £107 each with no VAT to pay.

You book the exams on pearsonvues website (you will find your nearest test centre on there) and instead of using your debit card you use the voucher codes sent to you from gracetech.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. PC

PC New Member

Thanks for your quick response and the great links (Thanks) "Yet again what a great forum"

12. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Hold off on those practice exams until you feel you need to test yourself for real though. Once you've done a practice exam the first time, it's accuracy as a pass/fail indicator is diminished.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  13. PC

PC New Member

Thanks for the sound advice.You are right in what you say.

14. Fresh108

Fresh108 Bit Poster

Im on the same boat as you PC. Thank you guys for the brilliant advice. I have a computer science degree which is getting me nowhere so Im thinking having a certification on my CV will boost employment chances as I lack experience.
    In what order do most people here take the certs....starting off with A+...then do people go into MCSE's or more Comptia + courses?

Certifications: BSc Computer Science, A+
    WIP: MCDST
  15. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

The usual route is CompTIA A+, N+ and then Microsoft MCDST.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA