New and would like to ask for some advice please.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Mooton, May 27, 2008.

1. Mooton

Mooton New Member

Hi all ive just registerd and i am in need of a little advice.

Im 22 and currently working for a CCTV manufacturer and i have been for almost 2 years, i started out building the Digital Video Records and was then moved up to the Technical Department. A year ago i purchased the home study A+ PC Technician Certification course but didnt do much due to lazzyness i guess :oops:. Anyway i want to get my head down and start learning and I already know a bit about computers, i know my way round both the Hardware and Software side of things, as well as some basic networking due to experience at work but just need the Certificate and some more knowledge to go with what i already know. The thing that is concerning me is the fact i purchased this a year ago and even back then what i read (The first two books) seemed to mostly talk about older technology (Example: when referring to motherboard buses there was a lot more information about the older buses compared to PCI-E and other types of hardware that are used today). Also when looking through the Operating System book i noticed there was almost no mention of windows XP. I understand that the way newer hardware works is pretty much the same as the older hardware its just upgraded but im just hoping that this is all still relevant and there havent been many updates to the course.

The company that i purchased the course from dont have any updates for it and tell me that the course can still be used to pass the exam but they did sell it me and arent going to say that it isnt are they?

In a nutshell what i am asking is does anybody know if this course is enough to pass the exam? I really want to knuckle down and start to get some qualifications together but I just dont want to put in lots of hours training for an exam that i am never going to pass using these books. If that is the case then i will look at doing a course in a college instead and just using the books from this course for reference.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mark

Certifications: None (its time to get in gear)
    WIP: A+ PC Technician Certification
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

I am not sure about that course but I would look at your local college or you could self study so you dont have to do a course.

For the A+ I would recommend compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers and PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles you can get them of Amazon quite cheaply.

The A+ does cover some older technologies but not everywhere you might work is up to date, I know some places still use windows 2000 and one of the departments where I work use Windows 98 :blink on a standalone PC.

The A+ is designed to give you a well balanced knowledge that is why you may have seen some old stuff in the course you did, but the exams changed last Summer so its probably best to get the books I mentioned.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Mooton

Mooton New Member

Ok thanks for the advice i will have a look into that.

I do have another book that i borrowed from a friend i think that is the all in one guide by Mike Meyers but it will be a few years old now. I will have a look for a newer one like you suggested.

Thank you for the advice.

Certifications: None (its time to get in gear)
    WIP: A+ PC Technician Certification
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

the 6th edition covers the new exam objectives

Good luck

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for the AIO 6th Ed. and PC Technician Street Smarts. If you've got an older book, I'd recommend getting a newer one. After all, spending a little money on a book is better than spending a LOT of money because you have to retake a failed exam!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA