New and need advice.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Pelham, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Pelham

Pelham New Member

Hello all. I thought i would register on this site because there seems to be a lot of information and people with a good knowledge of the IT industry that can posiibly help me. My situation is this. I am in a dead end job working nights which i hate... and very much would like to get out of this rutt. I consider myself quite compitent with computers and have been told by familly and freinds that i should do something with computers as i am allways repairing and troubleshooting their problems. I like using the computer and want to further my knowledge. I have been looking at becoming a systems engineer (mcse/msca,comptia) and am a little bit confused as to how to train for this qualification. I approached Advent computer training and was on the verge of splashing out £4750-00 on this course when an alarm bell rang in my head. At this moment in time i am very weary of these distance learning programmes and my gut feeling is that it is all a sales ploy. I need someone to help point me in the right direction so i can do this course. Who is the best and most reputable company to choose?, who will give quality training. Please Help.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi welcome

Most people on here will advocate self studying i.e buy the books and learn and understand on your own.

Then you save money.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. no1youknowz

no1youknowz Bit Poster

Where are you based? Maybe then someone can recommend a company?

Otherwise, I would agree that self study is the best.

First learn the basics and then get at least 2 computers and network them with a switch. You should be good to go as far as a lab is concerned :p

WIP: Too many to mention
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for self-study. I have yet to take a training course.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Agreed apart from the courses I don't have to pay for! :tongue

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! Self study is the way to go. There are many companies that offer the same stuff and they all cost pretty much the same. The end result is no different then self study, only you'll end up with a debt.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

One more for Self Study, dont worry your situation is very common i was in a similar position 18 months ago, i suggest you take a look at the Comptia A+ as this is a great starting cert.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  8. Pelham

Pelham New Member

Thank you for the responses so far. I live in Hereford so if any body knows of anything local to me that would be helpful. I have also read a lot about these "labs" what is it and how does it work? and what is the "switch" bit.i know how to set up a small network in the house is this simillar?

9. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Hiya :D

10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

You don't need anyone local just buy the books for self study.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009