NEW AND AFRAID

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by ITGOODENOUGH007, Mar 12, 2008.

1. ITGOODENOUGH007

ITGOODENOUGH007 New Member

I RECENTLY COMPLETED MY EXAMS FOR THE A+/N+CCNA AND I AM WORKING TOWARDS MY
    MCSA TO COVER MYSELF ON THE WONDOWS ENVIROMENT.WOULD STUDYING THE NEW
    MCTS CERTIFICATIONS HELP ME IN SECURING THE JOB OR JUST MAKE EMPLOYERS
    RUN AWAY AS I HAVE NO IT RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE . :eek:

Certifications: A+ N+ CCNA
    WIP: MCSA
  2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CF! 8)

How did you study for the exams you already have? Boot Camp or self-study/lab?

If you have no IT work experience, then you really do need to be applying for entry level jobs now. I am sure many on the forum will tell you that just having lots of certs with zilch experience will not help you get a job - I am one of those.

If you're looking for entry level, they may think you're too qualified; if you're looking for higher level, then they may think you have too little experience.

Personally, I would put down on your CV that you have the A+ and possibly the N+, and go for entry level. Get some experience under your belt, whilst keeping up your knowledge of CCNA and working on your MCDST/MCTS in the background.

Best of luck.

3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF!:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

I won't add to what Giddy said - as I feel he is spot on, but I will add that the caps-lock on your machine needs switching off! :p

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Hello & Welcome to CF.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

Giddy is spot on just to emphesise on what he said, having CCNA and MCSE etc and no experience can be harmful to your job prospects as they are supposed to be certs for people with exprience. As Giddy said hide them on your cv and use the A+ and N+ to get an entry level position.

Good Luck

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Um... If the e-mail that accompanied your resume (I'd never think of accepting a paper or snail-mailed resume) was in ALL-CAPS, I can guarantee that you'd never even get an interview.

Dude. YOU'RE SHOUTING. You can't possibly look like more of a newb to an employer than that.

As to your certs, I would give them a glance, but I'd be more interested in your employment history. If you have certs and no related employment history, alarm bells are going to start going off.

Now. If the position is very entry level, I may call you in for an interview, drop you in front of a couple of broken machines, and watch how you approach things. However, if several candidates with actual work experience are available for the same position I'll call them first. It's the experience that counts -- certs are secondary and in my shop they're only there to impress my customers -- not me (the person signing the cheque).

One thing I *will* be looking for on your resume is volunteer experience. I find that people who volunteer their time extensively are generally more honest and community minded than those who don't volunteer. I would be willing to consider someone with a lot of volunteer hours logged over someone with more experience. That's because I can always mentor an employee a bit on the technical end of things, but finding someone who is honest and hard working is harder than most people realize. Volunteer experience is a good indicator of character, in my experience.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Both Giddy & NH are on the mark regarding the experience factor.
    The way I’ve reviewed resumes is first look at experience (incl. volunteer work) and then everything else.

The work history shows you’ve been through the trenches and can deal with different scenarios under various stress factors. If the candidate has the experience, I’ll look at the certificates. To be fair, I don’t care if he/she has any certs. They might make the experience more credible, but the candidate’s answers during my interview will verify it! :ears 8)

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

All good advice given above. Being overcertified is NOT a good thing. You should stop certifying and get an IT job.

The A+ and Network+ are relevant to entry-level IT work... but the CCNA and MCSA are not. If you find it difficult getting an entry-level IT job with the CCNA on your CV, you might consider removing it... at least until you get some real-world IT experience with Cisco gear.

...and turn off your CAPS LOCK. Start looking professional, and you've taken a step towards being professional.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Also forgot to mention: I'll be checking your references, unless the references are from some instant cert outfit. I know better than to contact the latter.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs