New A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by noelg24, Jun 9, 2004.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Hi all.

first of all if u wanna know who I am and a bit about me have a look at the New Members forum.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask some of you guys who maybe studying for the A+ certs like me. what books are you lot reading? also does anyone have any idea where I can find an exam centre in the far regions of Aberdeen?!?!?! :roll:

i have also read some posts and noticed the prices of a few of these exams. but I want 2 no EXACTLY how much it would cost and also when they take place?!?!

Thanks all.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

exams are generally fixed cost, someone whos done it recently can tell you the exact cost of a comptia exam, they take place whenever you want! you book them like you would a restaurant
    'i want to take the A+ exam on thursday, what times do you have available' sort of deal
    you can take them wherever yo uwant, during your vacation in florida for all they care :)

check out www.vue.com
    and www.prometric.com i think (google vue and prometric if they fail to work)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well if i was taking it in Florida someone buy me a cocktail while im there 8) thanks Phoenix I'll take a look at those sites soon.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Florida? Methinks the lad has mistaken Nampa for Tampa. Tampa is a large city in Florida while Nampa is a small city in southwestern Idaho. I should know. Ryan and I recently became neighbors, living now a mere 25 miles apart or so.

As far as books, you should always go to the FAQ or Read Me First section of a particular forum. Lots of helpful information is stored there including a reading list. Having said that, I'm providing a handy link here for your viewing pleasure. I'd have to say from personal experience that the Mike Meyers book rules. As long as you have hardware and basic OS experience, the book is all you need to pass the two tests (Core and OS).

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Thanks Trip and sorry about the mistake..wont happen again buddy! :)

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

No mistake. I wasn't being punitive...more educational. No worries.

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

err trip, the florida bit was in response to my 'you can take it on a vacation to florida for all they care' line
    being most brits who goto the US on vacation goto Florida :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

hey, you from the aberdeen area? if so.... SNAP! lol.

i started off by buying the micro2000 A+ course on the web. its ok, but a bit expensive. i subsequently bought the Meyers A+ book (£40). well worth it in my opinion, its VERY detailed, containing a lot of information that makes someone a better tech, but isnt required in the A+ exam.

overall, i figured out that the micro2000 course teaches you to pass the exam, but the meyers book teaches you to be a good tech!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

That's what I get for trying to read to fast...I miss content. :oops: My apologies. Why do most Brits go to Florida when they vacation in the US? I mean, the country is vast with just a ton to see! Only a fraction of it is in Florida. :confused3

10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

u from Aberdeen too? thats cool!! :D maybe we could meet up sometime and do some studying together cos I always feel comfortable with someone who is doing the same thing as me and it helps to learn together and help each other out..and Im sure we can learn a lot from one another. I just hope my girlfriend does not get jealous :roll: well its ok cos she aint the type :lol: so we should be alright. :D

11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

my reply to that trip is probably the likes of Miami and Disney...

12. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

i doubt she would, depends which way u swing tho i spose! lol. but yeah meeting up is always an option, im actually intending to do just that with a friend of mine who is studying this as well, so its always an option!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

sorted man...well im sure if we all know what free time we have spare we can all meet and help each other study. should be a good laugh.

oh by the way I am totally straight man!!! before anyone gets any ideas :roll: :eek: .

right Im logging off for now..may be back later if not..will see u all 2mro...

14. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Jeez - we now have a dedicated Aberdeen Chapter on the Boards - fabulous :D

I feel like a "Southerner" compared tae you two :cry: AYE RIGHT !!!

Best I could find from my records for exam centres were the following:

Learning IT Ltd., Stirling, GBR [44] 1786 478 478 Drummond House
    Wellgreen
    Stirling, United Kingdom FK8 2D2

Informatics Ctec Edinburgh, Edinburgh, GBR +44 1312203037 3rd Floor
    132 Rose Street
    Edinburgh, United Kingdom EH2 3JD

Glenrothes College, Glenrothes, Fife, GBR [44] 1592 568300 Glenco Dev Sol, Glenrothes College
    Huntsman’s House
    33 Cadham Centre
    Glenrothes, Fife, United Kingdom KY7 6RU

HTH :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity