New A+ Book, Book, Book

Discussion in 'A+' started by tripwire45, Sep 23, 2009.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It's almost here! It's almost here!

PC Technician Street Smarts, Updated for the 2009 Exam: A Real World Guide to CompTIA A+ Skills

Second edition out on October 14th in the UK. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

w00t! Congrats, bro!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Hooligan

Hooligan Bit Poster

get readin
    report back - mini review

4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Congrats, I love a good murder mystery, is there a twist at the end?

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Pre-ordered mine on Amazon a few weeks ago...

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I suspect Trips 'Review' would be a little biased, given that its his book

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. StoneTZ

StoneTZ Bit Poster

Biased yet very insightful while describing the author's mindset and teaching style?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Net+, CCNA
  8. someperson49

someperson49 New Member

Hello

I am trying to self study for A+ using Mike Meyers All in one (2006) and hopefully plan to complete it before the new tests start.
    I was thinking of getting this book but am not sure, do you think I should get the newer edition even if I plan to do the 2006 A+?

Thanks alot.

(And great site btw)

WIP: A+
  9. BosonMichael

If you plan on doing the 2006 version of the exam, I'd get the 2006 version of the book.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the new release, Trip!

11. Haze

Haze Nibble Poster

Are the 2006 and 2009 exams going to be available side by side, and would you advise waiting for the 2009 materials if the 2009 exam will be more beneficial to take?

I've just started the Meyers 2006 book... Hadn't really considered there being a 2009 edition coming anytime soon!

Certifications: MCSA (Windows 7), MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician (Windows 7), MCTS: Windows 7 & Office 2010 Deployment, Level 3 Diploma in ICT Professional Competence, Level 3 Certificate in ICT Systems and Principles, Advanced Level Apprenticeship for IT Professionals
    WIP: MCSA: Server 2012
  12. BosonMichael

They are currently available side by side. Come February (or possibly later in some locations), the 2006 is going to retire.

I don't believe either version is "more beneficial" to take. Therefore, I'd recommend pursuing the 2006 exam and knocking it out by February.

Exams update every so often... always do your research ahead of time. :)

13. Haze

Haze Nibble Poster

Cheers for the reply

So just to be clear, you think I'd be better off keeping my 2006 book, and studying for that exam instead of waiting the 15 days or so for the new materials to come out and getting stuck into the 2009 material?

I've just been to the CompTIA site and they mention a 'bridge' exam, but then I'd be taking three exams while going over two sets of material for what is essentially one cert... My plan was to take the A+ then move on to the N+ or Microsoft certs.

When I say 'beneficial' I really just want to know what will look better on my CV, logic tells me the most up-to-date cert surely?

Certifications: MCSA (Windows 7), MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician (Windows 7), MCTS: Windows 7 & Office 2010 Deployment, Level 3 Diploma in ICT Professional Competence, Level 3 Certificate in ICT Systems and Principles, Advanced Level Apprenticeship for IT Professionals
  14. BosonMichael

Although you CAN take a bridge exam, you don't NEED a bridge exam. Once you're A+ certified, you're certified for life. I have yet to encounter an employer that actually cared which version of the exam that an employee has taken. There may be one out there... but I haven't met one yet! Nor would I, if I were interviewing someone for a job. In truth, I'd *rather* someone know the "old school" hardware, as long as I was relatively certain they were staying current (typically, by continuing to certify and by gaining experience up the IT career ladder).

Take whichever one you want, my friend... just keep in mind that 1) the book MIGHT not be out right on the date, and 2) that's only one book - if you need more resources than that, you might not find them. For example, Boson doesn't plan on updating their A+ practice exams anytime in the immediate future.

15. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Congrats

16. Haze

Haze Nibble Poster

Thanks for the advice Michael, that's a great help.

17. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

It's Here! The author's copies of my new book arrived by UPS yesterday. I dedicated it to my grandson Landon and of course, he and his mother are now living with us while my son (U.S. Marine) is deployed. Of course, she didn't realize about the dedication until I showed her.

Looking for reviewers but, alas, they have to be in the U.S. since shipping my books abroad costs a ton of money. Mitzs has already put in her request. Anyone else?

18. BosonMichael

I would be happy to provide a review on here, on MCSEWorld, and on Amazon (at a minimum). :)

I'm pretty sure what kind of a review I'm going to give it, as I currently have your previous edition. ;)

19. StoneTZ

StoneTZ Bit Poster

I was a Marine myself. I was with the engineers. Spent two years in Afghanistan then moved to Chile. I'd be happy to review your book and I could possibly paypal for the shipping or have my mother forward it to my address in Chile etc.

I hope your son returns shortly and I understand what you / him are going through. I've had plenty of friends and family (and myself) over there. It's not easy but it's not as bad over there as most people imagine. The media particularly sensationalizes it.

Also last I remember the Marines deployments were considerably shorter than the Army (regular Army) hopefully that standard remained.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Net+, CCNA
  20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

It would probably be easier (and more private) if you would PM your postal addresses to me. Thanks. :)