networking

Discussion in 'Software' started by zxspectrum, Oct 12, 2005.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

OK here goes . Im on a ntworking set up at the mo , as im sure you will all know we have a main modem then that links to a router which in turn send signals to my wireless card on my pc . The speed of the whole thing is 54 mbps and its an 802.11g. O the info side if this makes any sense it says 125 high sped mode and underneath 2.4 ghz wireless.

Right the trouble im having is this , i can download a file say 600000 kb (size of a film) and where i see it coming down the time for that to download will be about 3 days but if i put the bt voyager modem on it will be about 2 hours , as im on a 512k speed connection.

Is this right i mean should i expect better speeds or is it because its a wireless set up ?? :dry

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Not sure if I understand what you're asking?

Are you saying that if you download a file via wireless it takes ages, but if you plug you computer directly into the router then it downloads fast?

:rolleyes:

3. zxspectrum

No what i was trying to get across is if i skip the whole wireless card and router and just use the bt voyager modem the speeds are relly great, but when im back on wireless its like being on dial up except i can use the phone

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

So you have a BT Voyager Modem, which connects to A wireless Router, which then goes to your PC. Right?

When connected directly to the modem you get fast speeds. Yes?

When you have the modem connected to the router you get slow speeds Yes?

What type of wireless router is this? does it not have the ability to act as a modm so that you can completely bypass the BT Voyager?

:blink

5. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

and how is your signal strength/stability?

6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

my question would be what speed is the wireless card in your PC giving out? cos if its 802.11b and the wireless router is 802.11g it will only transmit at speeds from the card in your PC in other words it wont be transferring data at 54Mbps (802.11g) but at 11Mbps (802.11b) so that maybe a factor...saying this I have used a netgear wired router thru my PC and when downloading films the speeds were the same as if I had the modem itself connected to the PC...so maybe the whole 802.11b/g rule is the problem...other than that...what modem are u using and what wireless router are you using?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  7. zxspectrum

nope i can honestly say both the router and card are the same. Also the signal speed is 3 bars minimum or on a great day 5 max, so im still stumped