networking x64 laptop to 32bit desktop

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Cheeze, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Cheeze

Cheeze Bit Poster

Hi, I am trying to network my laptop (now running xp pro x64) to my desktop pc running xp pro 32 bit. I am using an ethernet cable and the 2 are connected but I am having problems.

Internet connection (on the desktop) is not being picked up on the laptop. If I try to use the run command \\192.168.0.1 (the ip of the desktop) on the laptop then I am taken to a log in screen asking for a username and password, this I have figured to be my login details for the desktop pc and I can access the shared files. I just cannot get the laptop to connect to the internet through this network. I really need to so I can download any 64bit drivers to get the laptop devices working correctly.

I am just using the laptop to check out the 64 bit stuff and see how stable it is and what advantages there are.

Certifications: An M.O.T.
    WIP: Hopefull MCAD and MCSD
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

HAve you enabled internet connection sharing on the desktop?

3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

On top of what Simon said, is the laptop set to gain it's IP automatically ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity