1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networking & Support Route

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by quigs1969, May 12, 2011.

1. quigs1969

quigs1969 New Member

Hi Guys,

I have just obtained my BSc degree for Networking and Systems Support and I am about to sit my CCNA exam. My next move is to obtain some Microsoft Certification.

What would be the best certification for a networking and support route?

I was thinking 70-680 with Windows 7 would be useful, rather than MCDST and XP, is there a MCDST equivilent for Windows 7?

Any advice on the best certification route would be welcome.

2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster Forum Leader

Personally, I would wait to sit the CCNA because it's not an entry certification. When I graduated, I just put on my CV that I've done the Cisco Networking Academy which covered CCNA. If I were to get a job doing CCNA work, I would then follow with the certification. If you're fresh out of school, you will probably be looking for entry level work so A+, MCDST, MCP (270) are all good entry level certifications... You should aim for experience before getting the higher level certs that way, you will complement both experience/education/certifications well. It's what I did/do to get to where I am today.

Good luck!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. DryPlate

DryPlate Nibble Poster

You can still take your MCDST exam until June 30th, 2011. Windows XP is going to be supported by Microsoft until 2014. As for Windows 7, There is MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7. Like the MCDST, there are two exams which are required but if you already have your MCDST you can take a single upgrade exam to obtain EDST 7. If you're taking Microsoft exams, they are offering up to 20% the registration cost and a free re-take voucher.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCDST, Apple Certified Associate
    WIP: CompTIA Network+, MCITP: EDST 7