Networking software?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I don't even know if what I'm looking for exists but hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
    As I don't own 100 systems I would like someway to play around with building out a network without having to create 100 VMS which I can't afford to do as I would need a number of decent spec PCs. Is there anything software based that can offer me the chance to build networks etc? I'm doing this purely for the learning.

Thanks

2. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

Packet tracer, GNS3 are the first ones that come to mind. I'm sure there are a few more.

3. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Second GNS3 mate. Bit of a bugger to setup but once its working, its wonderful!

4. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

I would recommend Cisco Packet Tracer for its ease of use personally. I used it for labbing when I did my CCNA and found it was enough (although this was a few years ago). I now use Cisco VIRL, but it is quite expensive at almost £150/year for a subscription.

Certifications: F5 CTS, LTM | F5-CA | CCNA: Sec | CCNA: R&S | ITIL Foundation
    WIP: AWS Solutions Architect