Networking OS

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Fergal1982, May 14, 2004.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

ok guys, if i wanted to create a network domain within my home. what
    OS('s) would you recommend using on the server(s) and on the clients? and how pricey would these OS's be?

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Is this for the purposes of studying, or just functionality, Fergal ?

For most purposes, a version of Windows 2k or 2k3 server is going to do WAY MORE than what you could need. MS I believe still offer 365-day trial versions. Or you could just set up a peer-to-peer Workgroup scenario using Windows 2k/XP clients for general print/file sharing, internet connection sharing etc.

If you feel brave, why not mess around with a distro of Linux (cue the experts).

Or you could set up a Novell Netware or Unix box ? :wink: :roll:

EDIT: Read back your original post - if you want a domain, your gonna want a Windows (or other) Server on there :oops:

HTH

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

more for experience of setting a network up. would like to mess about with it. probably stick with a windows server to start with to be honest. was thinking 2k3, with xp on the client systems. but the licensing could get quite expensive.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

if your doing it for training the chances are you will want to format and start again quite often, in order to master installation techniques and such
    the 180 day trial of the windows 2003 server should proove more than ample for such a task mate
    thats 6 months without a format :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Funny you should ask. That's what I'm doing right now (I'm taking a break). I've got my lab machine running VMWare Workstation 4.0 and loaded with four virtual machines: Two servers running Windows Server 2003 acting as domain controllers for two separate domains and two client machines, XP Pro and 2000 Pro, one for each domain.

The only reason to run an NOS at home is for study purposes so it really depends on what you want to learn. If you want to learn 2003/XP then that's probably what you should play with. The trial versions are typically free (alas, no trial version of XP, you'll just have to buy XP Pro outright).

If you are in school and can prove it, you can also attempt to order educational copies of the operating system software online. Often, you can get a substantial discount on price and of course, have to promise never to use it for other, evil purposes (like taking over the world).

If you ever get around to studying Linux as an NOS, no worries on the licensing since it's open source.

Certifications: A+ and Network+