Networking between XP Pro and Home problems?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Mikeyboy, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Yep, how can i stop this happening?

Interestingly enough, just started the Home laptop in safe mode with networking, put in \\192.168.xx.xx of my home computer, and rather than telling me it doesn't exist, it asked me for the same greyed out Username\Guest and password :blink

wtf..

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Disable the guest account and also disable 'simple file sharing' Then repair both connections (right click on the Local area connection (or whatever) and then select repair)

Make sure you can still ping both ways by IP address.

Try again with \\<ip address>

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Phew, thanks, got that all up and running again!

Interestingly enough now, the home laptop, I can ping my laptop, and my main computer, from that , yet when i ping the Home laptop from either my laptop or my home computer, it just times out.,.. any clues?

4. Sparky

Is Windows firewall enabled or do you have any 3rd party software firewall or security software installed ?(Norton etc.)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Nope, firewall is off, and zonealarm is installed, but it notifys you if anything is untowards then,... um... oh wait... just closed it and it connected first time... :oops: :rolleyes: :D oops what an idiot cant believe I didnt think of that before.... just checking it's all working now...

will report back in 5 seconds if it is...

6. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

erm... oops...

Thanks to everyone who helped,,, i guess Akums Razor is true - the simplest answer is probably the correct one!

going to go and sit embarassed in the corner... :biggrin

7. Sparky

Zone alarm generally jumps in when something is trying to connect *from* your laptop, something like "application.exe is trying to connect"... ...then you can block it or allow.

A simple ping *inbound* from another PC on the LAN wouldnt create any warning message as this kinda traffic isnt a big deal in this case.

Happy networking! :biggrin