Networking between XP Pro and Home problems?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Mikeyboy, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

It doesnt matter if the accounts have no passwords, windows is trying to match the SIDs and, when they dont match, will ask for credentials - all you need to do is put in the username for the target machine (you may need to prefix it with "machinename\" where machinename is the name of the target pc), and any password (or blank if it has none).

It would also help if you give us the specific error message shown when you try to navigate to \\192.168.xx.xx

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

OK perhaps I am not being clear or doing something wrong, but setting up sharing between MY laptop (on XP PRO) and my home computer (also PRO), I never had to dabble with setting up accounts or any such malarky, I just put in \\192.168.0.66 and it accessed the shared folders on my computer, which I had shared to the network - I then mapped these to network drives, never at any point was I prompted for usernames and/or passwords...

the problem lies when I try and do the same with the other laptop, which is on XP Home

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  3. Fergal1982

ah, no. I think its me thats in the wrong, looking at it again. When I think about connecting to the share of a machine, I think of using the \\192.168.xx.xx\c$ share on the machine. I personally never actually use the public shares, so I forget that the public shares are opened to allow everyone access.

IPconfig may still help. also include the printout from the machine that does work, it may help see any differences.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  4. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Exact error message:

"\\(computername) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the network resource. Contact the administrator of the server to find out if you have access permissions

The network path was not found."

Doing all this from memory, will screen grab some when I get home - Pretty sure that accessing \\192.168.xx.xx gives the same result, or some other inaccessible error

5. Fergal1982

are you able to navigate to the shares on the other machines from the xphome machine?

6. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Yep, my OTHER laptop, the XP PRO one, i can connect to that in the same method, typing in its IP address, and accessed shares on that, created a shared folder on both desktops to put communal files in, so it definitely works both ways between these two machines, yet the other, just doesn't wanna know!!!

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'm not prompted when connecting to shares on my XP Pro boxes on a workgroup at home.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Fergal1982

so of your three machines:

the Pro Desktop can access the Pro laptop's shares
    the Pro Laptop can access the Pro Desktop's shares
    the Home Laptop can access both the shares of the pro laptop, and the pro desktop
    neither the pro desktop nor the pro laptop can access the home laptop's shares

is that correct?

9. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

The home laptop CANNOT access anything, the PRO laptop or the PRO desktop it's as if its surrounded by a brick wall - yet when you bring up a list of workgroup computers, the HOME laptop shows up on the other two, and also the other two show up as computers in the workgroup, on the HOME laptop, yet are inaccessible!

10. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Anything such as Simple File Sharing versus full NTFS wouldn't cause the problem would it? I know we're talking shares but just in case...

11. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

I doubt it as that would affect the other laptop aswell? which has no problems accessing anything on the main computer, and simple sharing is enabled, so there are no NTFS permission options to play with:blink

12. GiddyG

OK... so that rules that out... and the home laptop can access the other two machines, but they cannot access its share...

Here's a link to M$'s own document on File and Printer sharing troubleshooting... perhaps it could help...

John

13. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Thanks John,

I have a few links to try later - I think you may have misread my previous post, the Home laptop CANNOT connect to the other two computers, or vice versa

14. GiddyG

Ah... my excuse is I am trying to read and type while working... :)

I would still go with the File and Printer sharing element, given that you can see it. It may be a tick in a box in Windows Firewall that does the trick...

15. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

OK its all got even worse now - when I got home I decided to give this guest account thing a try, now I can't access any of my shared folders on any computer, I turned all the guest accounts on, then off again, but I get a pop up box now asking me to input username and password, cannot get rid of it!!! how do I get back to how it was :twisted:damn

16. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Have you disabled simple file sharing?

In regard to the original problem could the home laptop ping the other PCs by IP address?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

No, just checked, the simple file sharing is still turned on - and can ping my main computer and the previously fine laptop back and forth with no losses... damn!

18. Sparky

Ok, so you can ping the PC from your home laptop?

What happens if you put \\<ip address> in the run line (IP address of the PC obviously! :biggrin )

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  19. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

No, sorry I have given up on the Home laptop for now, still trying to work out why I can't connect my XP laptop to my main computer, when it worked fine yesterday, and now it is asking me for a Username and password, for Guest, when there isn't one - I didnt have to do any of this before!

20. Sparky

Is the guest username greyed out so you cant type another name?