Networking 2 computer's via wireless

Discussion in 'Networks' started by hubby, Apr 14, 2006.

1. hubby

hubby Banned

Hi

Bothmy laptop and desktop computer connect to the internet via a wireless router and both are running windows xp.

I have 2 problems. Firstly only one will connect to the router at any one time, the other continually says 'acquiring network address', surely they should both connect to the router?

My second problem is that i'd like to be able to use file sharing on both computers. My friend says this is easy,something about giving each computer an ip address and configuring my firewall? Obviously I can't do this until i solvemy first problem.

Can anybody help with the 1st problem and give some very simple iinstructions for my 2nd problem?

Many Thanks

WIP: A+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Does the PC ever get an I.P address or do you get an error message? Also what kind of router are you using?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I think we need more info. What router (make and model)? Who is your ISP?

It *sounds* as if the system is set up to only give one IP - which is why we need more info as most routers will do better than that!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Is it only 1 of the 2 that connects all the time or can both connect if you try them seperately? If its the same computer that won't connect all the time I'm wondering if its wireless isnt configured correctly.
    As Harry says, more info please!!

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  5. hubby

hubby Banned

Thanks for replying guys.

The router is a belkin 54g adsl router. Both the PC and the laptop will connect to the router individually but not together.

Any ideas?

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Can you 'ping' the router from both computers?

like harry said it sounds as though the router is only configured to distribute a single IP address. To remedy this you may have to go into your routers config, usually accessable from a web browser, and change the DHCP settings.

7. hubby

hubby Banned

Ping? I'm assuming you don't mean ping pong? :blink

8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

ping is a very simple network troubleshooting utility.

OK, first thisng that you need to do is to open up a command prompt. Start - Run - Type in CMD and then press enter.

Once the Command Prompt has openned you will need to know what your routers IP address is. Type in IPCONFIG then press enter. you will get something that looks like this:

PHP:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.6
    Subnet Mask 
    . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    The Default Gateway is (usually) the address of your router.

Now type in PING 192.168.0.1 (Obviously substitute the numbers for those of your gateway) and press enter.

Try the PING of the same address from both PC's and tell us what returns you get.

9. hbroomhall

Can you post the model number please? It will probably be on a sticker on the base.

Otherwise it is very difficult to get info to help you! :biggrin

Harry.

10. hbroomhall

I see you are doing A+, so 'ping' should be in your book/courseware/docs somewhere, as it is included in A+! :biggrin

Harry.

11. hubby

hubby Banned

:oops:
    Still on Chapter 1 - Prerequisite material. Struggling already :(

12. hbroomhall

Ah! Well Simon has posted some info on how to run ping...

Harry.

13. hubby

hubby Banned

Ok

So Both computers give a different ip address, which I thik is what I want. I can't ping either of the ip addresses but I can ping my router ip address from both machines. As of this morning both computers conect to the router at the same time, don't know whats changed, but I don't mind since it works.

So now problem 2, how do I access one machine from the other? I've looked at windows wireless networking but it involves sticking a usb memory stick into my router, which does't have a usb port, so how do I do it?

Go easy on me, I'm starting to realise i'm a complete newbie :oops:

14. hbroomhall

How about posting those addresses - we might get some idea of what is happening! Also tell us the model of the router.

An USB memory stick has nothing to do with networking!

In addition - your original post made me think that you were using wireless to connect both machines. From what you have just said it seems as if they are both wired?

Please - we need detail! It is very hard to diagnose without it!

And if both machines are accessing the 'net then they should be able to ping each other.

Harry.

15. hubby

hubby Banned

Ok Belkin54g adsl router model number: F5D7630-4A

I've only been able to get them both to connect to the router at the router at the same time once. It is a wireless router connected to my phone line, with my laptop and desktop both connecting to it wirelessly. When the desktop is connected, the laptop won't and visaversa.

I think the problem is with the desktop computer. I've realised it won't always connect to the router whether the laptop is conected or not, sometimes it just keeps saying acquiring network address. Does this make my problem clearer?

EDIT: Don't know if it's relevent, but on the desktop, the advanced settings tab says the WMI data may be corrupted. Is this relevent?

16. hbroomhall

OK - I've now got a copy of the manual of the router to get some idea of what it does.

What did you set when this was setup? Like wireless encryption options? The manual says that this unit ships with no encryption.

You didn't post the IP addresses of the two machines - please do that.

And check that both machines are set to 'Obtain IP address automaticaly'.

Edit: To get this going I would advise having all three units within a few feet of each other to avoid problems with distance and interference.

Harry.

17. hbroomhall

Just read this bit - from a quick search on the 'net this seems to be a possible source of problems.

I've seen scripts that stop WMI - rename the respository and restart WMI, but as I've never done this I don't know how successful they are.

Harry.

18. hubby

hubby Banned

The desktop ip is 192.168.2.3
    The laptop ip is 192.168.2.2
    The router ip address is 192.168.2.1

I've system restored the desktop and can now connect both computers to the router at the same time. I can't ping the desktop ip from the laptop or visaversa. Both machines will ping the router though.

Does this help and since both machines now connect how do i network them together?

Also someone mentioned dhcp, i've looked at that in the router utility and both machines have connected with ip addresses individually. How do I ensure they get automatic ip addresses?

BTW. I really appreciate the help you guys are giving me.

19. hbroomhall

Hurray - progress! :biggrin
    what happens when you ping 192.168.2.4 from the desktop?

Harry.

20. hubby

hubby Banned

Sorry, i've edited the post above. The laptop ends in .2 and the desktop in .3

If I try and ping 192.168.2.2 (the laptop) from the desktop it says request timed out data loss 100%