Networked Printer not printing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shadowwebs, May 13, 2013.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

My colleague has now gone on leave and left me with a job that needs completing, we have a network printer setup but when printing, nothing is reaching it. Ping response comes back "destination net unreachable."

IP: 192.168.20.1
    Sub: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.20.254

the PC is on the same Subnet & Gateway, I have checked the network port is patched and tried in different network ports which I know are good and working. My only other thoughts now are that the printers network card could be faulty, any suggestions?

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Is the user definitely trying to print to that printer!?! Checked the print queue to see if anything is stuck in there? Or is nothing reaching the print queue at all? I would suspect a config issue of some sort as opposed to faulty network card. Could be wrong though!

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  3. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

Can you configure the printer's network settings? some of them have displays and buttons etc so you can set them to have static ip or dhcp, definitely it should have option to print the config so you can double check the ip address

4. shadowwebs

Thanks for the replies, yes the printer has the correct settings for what is setup on the print server. there are two jobs stuck in the print queue, but deleting them hasn't made any difference.

Our network tech is going to go and check the switch is configured correctly, so will see what comes back from that... but as the PC worked on the same port the printer was on, then I am sure the network port is fine.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  5. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Can you print elsewhere? Good old print server reboot? Or printer reboot? Been tried etc?

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  6. shadowwebs

rebooted the printer, can print elsewhere fine... i have connected the printer up by USB to one PC and is losing the connection by USB intermittently... so I am now believing it more so that the fault is hardware as the USB & Ethernet ports are on the same panel... good thing we have a warranty

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What type of printer is it? Is it a dedicated network card or is it a print server\jet direct device that is on the printer?

I would reset whatever is offering the network connection on the printer, set it at DHCP and then patch the printer back in – see if the printer gets a 169 address.

If it does then get a constant ping on 192.168.20.1 from a laptop or whatever and then change the IP address back to 192.168.20.1 on the printer and see if the ping comes back up.

As said it could be a hardware issue to look at hardware diags and any firmware updates.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. shadowwebs

it has a dedicated network card, it's a Canon iSensys LBP6750

I have set it to DHCP and is not picking up any IP configuration...

9. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

You've ruled out both issues there, so it has to be hardware.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What IP address does it get? 0.0.0.0 or is it a 169?

Can the card be reseated?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Chief

Chief Bit Poster

Is there a button or something to reset it to factory default to start over with a clean setup?

Certifications: MCSE (2003), MSTS Vista, S+, N+, A+, CCA (Metaframe), MCSE (NT4)
    WIP: MCSA (2008/2012), CCA (XenApp 6.5, XenServer 6), CCNA (Not sure, but probably +Security)