Network + with CommSupport

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Elliot28, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Elliot28

Elliot28 Bit Poster

I was thinking about studing the network + then the CCNA with CommSupport.

Does anyone have any experience with the Network + from CommSupport, I have found alot of posts about the CCNA and it all seems positive but I was just wondering about the Network +

Is the network + useful or should I study something different...

I am currently a Desktop Engineer working in the Public Sector.

I will be paying for this certification myself.

Thanks in advance

Elliot

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

No disrespect to Joe but for the Network+ I would probably just stick with Professor Messer’s CompTIA N10-005 Network+ Training | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Technology Training and a book from Amazon (Amazon.co.uk: Network+: Books). It's far cheaper and you can do it in your own time and not have to spend it away from the office.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

None taken sir.

In the new year our N+ classes will all be run as live instructor led on-line courses so you don't have to leave home/office and they will be as cheap as buying a pile of books from amazon. All the sessions will be recorded for review too.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  4. Elliot28

Elliot28 Bit Poster

I'm really not sure what to do, I know CommSupport do the Combo deal for £895 with the Network + Only £200 extra.

Will there be much need for learning from a book afterwards or will I learn everything in the class and be ready to take the exam after taking the course?

5. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Buy the Network+ book and watch the videos recommended by SimonD, read the book from cover to cover if you get it then great, if on the other hand it's all nonsense then reconsider your options.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  6. Elliot28

Elliot28 Bit Poster

Ideally I would want to move onto the CCNA as quick as possible, which way would be quickest?

Thanks
    Elliot

7. Tcat

Tcat Bit Poster

As humans we tend to get stuck on 'new'.

My older work on A+,Network+ and Security+ is free on line at Certiguide.com

The reality is TCP/IP is *still* TCP/IP ;) What I said for Security+ 12 years ago still applies.

Yes, V6 is slowly coming. And yes, I covered TCP/IP V6 in detail back then.

It's free. HTH
    Tcat

Certifications: Cannot count.
    WIP: Creating new ETA-I certs.
  8. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

This argument never dies because it really depends on the person, IMO. And not their intelligence or ability, but really just how they learn.

Personally, I'm my own hardest master and I learn best alone, by reading and doing. No trainer I've even met has been able to push me harder than I push myself. Plus as someone who used to be a bookworm, I know the authorial 'voice' that best reaches me, so I can read a book and usually know within a page or two whether I'll be able to stick with it to the end. Because of this, I can focus, and have learned stuff from scratch that has taken collegues months. I'm not saying I'm a genius - my wife will happily tell you how dumb I often am. I'm just good at locking myself in a darkened room and pushing myself.

But then, also, I am a trainer. I've had some really smart students who - left to their own devices, just can't get anywhere. Yet put them with someone else, anyone else, even someone much less knowledgeable and they'd thrive. Some people just need someone else to... I don't even know why... to motivate them, or to bounce ideas off.
    I've had other smart students who didn't get along with books or videos because they couldn't ask questions. They just needed reassurance that they were understanding it correctly, but without that feedback, they quickly started to feel overwhelmed. With me, they could just ask check questions, to affirm what they thought, or to nip any misconceptions in the bud, and they got along fine.
    Other people just have a different way of seeing things. I'm perhaps talking a bit more of people with dyslexia, or other needs, but some people just understand things a different way around from most people - it's almost like they think in Japanese and need the verb shifted to the end and the propositions reversed before they get it. A trainer can help with this, where a book can't.

Sorry for the long answer, Elliot, but I really think it's down to you.
    If you're pretty well-motivated and pick stuff up best by driving at it yourself, and experimenting with it till you get it - then self-study from books and Messer. And ask questions here.
    If you're more of a social learner, or find long technical books make your eyes heavy and make you hungry for some human interaction, a class and trainer could be a good way to go.
    You know yourself best...

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  9. gld998

gld998 New Member

Get a Junior Network Job position... then get your CCNA.... get ready for a big pay cut...