Network users and their complaints

Discussion in 'Just for Laughs' started by Enigma101, May 18, 2010.

1. Enigma101

Enigma101 Bit Poster

Its the computer/printer/network/ YOUR fault as IT guy!...Not me as the network user...

Do i have more stupid users on my network than anyone else? perhaps not but it feels like it some days :biggrin

I can forgive those few that have no clue whatsoever...yes and i have more than my fair share, but at least they are happy for your help because they admit to being useless with IT equipment and i will bend over backwards to help them.
    plus i can do nothing but laugh to myself as they ask why you are setting up a dvd player in my office..no miss H this is your fixed computer that i am returning (been sat in front of her for 2 years)

Its the few who shout and bang the printers, stress out and blame me because:

User - Cant logon to network.. (stressed and throwing tantrum)
    Thinking (you have forgot your password but are to proud to admit)

User - Printer is not working and i cant be doing with this!
    Thinking - Printer works fine and i told you too many times not to have 50 tabs open on your desktop)

User - I cant send emails and it needs sorting now!
    Me - Have you reached your disc space quota? (told how to check lot of times)
    User - yes its fine i have loads left..i have to get on with this work!
    me - (check their disc space and its hit limit due to thousands of personal mp3 files stored on their disc)
    me- your disc space is at the limit, please delete some of those mp3s
    user - WHAT?..what are you talking about!!!!
    me - delete some or i will remove the lot
    User - (slams phone down)

User - this computer is so slow...network is crap and software is just not easy to use..my computer at home works so much better!
    me - (sat down having a coffee) sorry i am on my lunch break give me a minute and i will check it out.
    User -(sits down with me) why does the network do this..and this and whats wrong with this...and this dont work..network at the last place was way better .....and errrrrgh i need to get on
    me - later finds out he has just introduced a trojan (YET AGAIN) by way of usb stick from home computer onto the network :rolleyes:

Certifications: 70-270 70-290
    WIP: MCSE
  2. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

It seems to me mate that you need to apply serious rules and regulations on that system.

Personal USB pen on work network? In many company's out there that is a DISMISSAL offense on the spot.

Best of luck and think about teaching those users some manners to the way they use the work IT system.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  3. Enigma101

Enigma101 Bit Poster

Its in a secondary school environment and the head insists that staff can use USB sticks, we have warned him enough times but he will not listen :rolleyes:

4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Have you warned him of the world of s**t he'll be in if one of his staff loses a USB stick with info that can identify someone on it.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Seems to me you need to embark on a fairly full on user training program, I've not once had any of my users forget their password or exceed their disk space quota. I regularly get complaints about performance but only from those whose complaint is justified and they are on the list of rapidly approaching upgrades.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What I do to administrators and supervisors that take that sort of tact with me is tell them that I can't be responsible for security breaches and loss of data. That often causes them to reconsider their decision. If they don't change their minds immediately, they do as soon as the first incident happens.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have said it at my place that we would have not could have security breaches. We have now banned the use of USB sticks.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Enigma101

Enigma101 Bit Poster

I think all users should have to sit a basic skills lesson in network and computer use if using your network regular, however this goes on deaf ears also.
    The IT skills of quite a few of our staff are shocking and they are teaching the kids :rolleyes:

Anyway the initial post of this topic was to hear your funny or not so funny user problem and complaints :biggrin

9. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

This thread made me think of the videos at this site http://www.thewebsiteisdown.com/ been out for a while but worth a look if you haven't seen them before!

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  10. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

I've had ICT teachers that have reported a faulty printer and shout and moan about how the printer keeps breaking every single week and he's so pissed off with it all - every single week, the solution is to replace the toner. :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: 70-291
  11. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Yup or fill the bloody thing up with paper

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  12. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I have one from today, user calls saying thier sound is playing up. Go to check and sure enough teh master volume control slider is moving up and down on its own and the mute option is ticked then unticked, while no one is touching teh pc.

An hour after downloading new audio drivers, checking speaker cables, sockets and plugs, running a virus scan and malware detection, checking no other app was accessing the audio at the same time, i was baffled.

Then i remembered new keyboards tend to have media controls on them, so checked this one. Nope no media controls so not that.... users asked why i was looking ta the keyboard so i tell them. They then say they used to have a wireless keyboard which played up so they removed it and its no longer used. Thing is that keyboard is still in the room, complete with batteries and its keys are being pressed as its placed upside down on a shelf. Guess which keys?? The mute and volume controls!
    Took the batteries out of the damn thing and viola the volume controls on the pc stopped moving!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  13. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Hello everybody.

I don't work on IT full-time. Just do it in my spare time as a part-time freelance technician.

I had this customer calling me sometime this week, telling me that his msn wouldn't login. I have asked him to check his system time and date to what he replied to be correct. So I went to his house yesterday only to find out that his system time was 22/04/2010???? Had it changed to the correct date and msn is now logging in.

Then on another note, he asks me why is this link in his favourites doesn't work? He named it www.facebook.com but the link behind it was msn.pt which was its default homepage. That changed and voila, now it works.

Then again on another note, he says he's been surfing the web for quite a few days now but he's got no historical about it???? Come one man!!! Internet explorer options and unticks the delete browsing history when closing IE????

It just took me 5 minutes and had to drive there. Charged the normal £20.00 fee I charge for any call out. Normally I wouldn't charge in these circumstances, especially to a client that always pays, but in a way they have to learn with their mistakes. Then again maybe not and one keeps making £20.00 every time one goes there.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  14. tornado

tornado Bit Poster

Students here are being taught by the IT teachers that its good practice to save all your usernames and passwords in an excel document :ohmy

I told the teachers that it was bad idea, got no response and they are still doing it.

Certifications: MCDST & Security+
    WIP: ZCE PHP5
  15. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

You need to educate them then, go to teachers user area, find passwords.xls, find facebook user name and password, change status to "I stored all my passwords in an excel spreadsheet and now I've be fraped, maybe that IT guy knows what hes talking about?" :twisted:

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10