Network Toolkit

Discussion in 'Networks' started by BrizoH, Jul 15, 2007.

1. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Inspired by the Wireshark tutorial, what other tools would you consider to be an essential part of any Sysadmin's toolkit?

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  2. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Only technicians have tool kits :tongue

Sysamin have resources & utilities

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

There are a few, aside from Wireshark/ethereal, Zeb mentioned NMap.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - then why is there a folder on my box called 'Toolkit' :twisted:

Along with Wireshark, I'd recommend:
    The ubiquitous Putty - Telnet/SSH client extraordinaire
    PRTG - for bandwidth monitoring via SNMP
    Kiwi Syslog Daemon and Log Viewer
    Angry IP Scanner - no more sodding about scripting Ping Sweeps or range scanning - and a nice little gui to boot
    MetaSploit - an automated vulnerability tester and exploiter
    Nessus - the tour de force of vulnerability scanners
    SQL Power Injector - automated SQL Injection vulnerability assessment
    Burp Proxy - for vulnerability-testing web applications
    Cain & Abel - password cracker - but so much more, including ARP spoofing, a traffic sniffer and tons of other goodly stuff
    Rainbow Crack - pre-computed rainbow tables with the full alphanumeric character set on a normal DVD pushed into Cain & Abel and run against the SAM on an NT domain... watch those alphanumeric passwords crumble into dust. Last time I ran it against my SAM at work it cracked about 98% of passwords in just under eight hours...
    Snort - don't leave home without it. The poster boy for open source development - I run it everywhere I go, hanging off a mirror port and logging to a MySQL database, with BASE as a front end
    NMap - no toolkit is complete without it - it is to port scanners what R-Type is to shoot-em-ups - without equal.

There are loads more - and I realise that the vast majority of these are security centric, but to be honest, most of them are essential to today's network admin. Security is such an integral part of the network admin's job, that anyone trusted with looking after today's networks should learn how to use these - or similar tools.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Off the top of my head, I'd include Wireshark, nmap, nessus, snort...

I'm sure there's a lot more that others use, my thinking was to get a list of free/open source tools that you could potentially store on a USB drive as a definitive tool/utilities kit.

6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Zeb, thats quite a bit of tools. I only heard of about 3 or of those tools you mentioned.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Great post zeb,

I've used most but there's a few there I haven't came across (SQL Injector and Burp Proxy). Will have a look at these next week in work, cheers

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

And no install required... everything's in a nice, neat EXE file. Highly recommended.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

No GFI Languard? :D :D :D

10. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

ignore this posted in the wrong section