Network Technician?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tripwire45, Sep 24, 2003.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I got this announcement in my e-mail from a regional Telco provider. It was titled: "Network Technician" but I swear they're looking for a "phone guy/gal". Here a look:

Job Classification: Full Time Regular

Business Unit: Local Network Svcs

Job Function: Telecom Technician-Installation Maintenance & Repair

Career Path: Occupational Opportunities

Job Description:
    At Qwest our foundation is the Spirit of Service. As a Qwest Network Technician you will exemplify this spirit from our Caldwell, Idaho location. You will be counted on toinstall and maintain telecommunication products and servicesfor our residential and business customers. More information about the position is listed below. Job Description: Performs installation and maintenance of residential/small business telephone service. Interprets customer service orders, circuit diagrams, equipment drawings, technical manuals, etc. Repairs, maintains, splices and performs conformance testing of subscriber line, carrier plant or fiber optic plant. Connects color coded wires and cables to terminals and attaches or detaches various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings and poles. Performs various splicing function on new cable and wire and makes splicing rearrangements on existing facilities in buried, underground aerial and building work location. Reads interprets work orders, OSP (outside plant) maps, repair tickets and service orders. Tests equipment, lines and service to ensure proper installation. Discusses service and equipment with customers.
    Qualifications: Experience installing and repairing telecommunications equipment for residential/small business customers. Knowledge of testing devices, such as oscilloscopes, transmission measuring sets, volt-ohm meters, etc. Experience in reading and interpreting telco customer service orders, circuit diagrams, equipment drawings, construction workprints, and technical manuals Superior skills with customers either face-to-face or over the phone.
    Work Environment: Works outside in all weather conditions. Works in confined spaces such as attics, raceways, crawl spaces, utility holes, or vaults, etc. Works aloft at heights exceeding 20 feet on a ladder, on a roof, or in a lift truck. Works inside customer premises. Works with hand and power tools. Requires varying tours and hours including possible mandatory overtime, weekends and holidays.
    Special Requirements of the Job: Ability to perform strenuous physical activities including, but not limited to lifting and/or moving up to 100 pounds, working aloft, on ladders or poles using body belts and safety straps, etc. Ability to perceive differences in wire and cable colors. Employee’s weight and tools combined may not exceed 280-pound weight limit as specified by the manufacturer. Requires a valid State driver's license with satisfactory driving record.
    Qwest offers great pay, benefits and opportunity for advancement! Sound like a great opportunity for you? If so, please take a minute to register and submit for the position! Qwest Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Any Offer of employment is contingent upon the results of a pre-employment drug test and background check.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

It would appear not eveybody has the same idea of what a network technician is :)

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Goodness me - never heard of that in the UK

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Really Sandy? It's pretty common in the US. Even for my "temp" postal job, I had to be fingerprinted so they could do a criminal background check and I had to go to a medical clinic and donate a urine sample to be tested for drugs.

Certifications: A+ and Network+