network systems engineer interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by bazzawood30, Jan 11, 2011.

1. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

Hi
    I have this interview on Thursday and i am trying to prepare for it. I have not been to an interview for 8 years and never to an IT interview. I have all the certs they are after an another few skills that have got me this interview with no experience. Does anybody know what sort of techinal questions i might get? I am expecting the normal teamworking communication etc questions but would not mind some pointers if anybody has some. Last i will have to negotiate my own salary i have never done this and dont know where to start.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Will be hard to give you a list of questions without a job description, but id generally say that you will be tested on knowledge of the systems they use, or that you have said you have knowledge of on your CV.

You will also be asked regarding experience in dealing with situations, problems and general day to day usage of systems listed on the job spec.

Salary should be based upon the going rate for similar roles in the area

Good luck

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

I'd say the first thing to do is look at the job posting for the position. That should give you a good outline for the kinds of questions they will ask. For example, if one of the requirements is "experience in configuring routers and switches" then you can expect that they would ask you for common switching commands and throw some scenarios at you that involve you troubleshooting some routing/switching issues. There is no way to tell what they may ask because it all depends on the person interviewing you, and the position. I've never sat a engineer interview. However, I have always been given scenarios and have had to explain how I would tackle a situation in a technical manner.

I'd suggest that you look over the job posting and anything that you feel "iffy" about should be reviewed so you can at least have a basic understanding of it. I wish you luck on your interview. The fact that you got the interview means that there is something about you that they like (obviously). So it's a matter of you walking in there and showing them what you've got.

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  4. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

I have the full job description on its way to me will be going through that with a fine toothed comb.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  5. veloce

veloce Byte Poster

good luck mate:biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: BSc Hons Computing & IT