Network+ study guides

Discussion in 'Network+' started by flopstocks, Oct 13, 2006.

1. flopstocks

flopstocks Nibble Poster

Hi I recently passed the A+ using TestOut which I acquired through a friend. So the next step is the Network+ been looking at the TestOut again but it's way too expensive! At present I have the latest Sybex book from David Groth, PFT and CBT nuggets video training, also a disk I purchased off ebay includes a Testkings program. Would you think this material would enough for a first time pass? If not what else would you advise.

Cheers

Certifications: A+, Network+, CCNA, BSc(Hons) Open
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Flop,

Welcome to CF.

I can recommend the David Groth book to get you through the Network + course.
    Not sure about Testout, but Testking are known as brain dumps and should not be used.

Good luck :thumbleft

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

The CBT nuggets N+ is ok at best to be honest.I mean something as important,in N+ terms anyways,as the OSI model is presented cartoon stylie in the form of 'lord of the token rings'!!!!Believe me,you are going to need a lot of patience NOT to throw the disk in the bin.That particular nugget is 30 minutes long and only actually gets down to the OSI in any sort of understandable way in the last 3 minutes,aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggghhhhhhh!!!

Thats just my view on it though,but since it costs my company a hell of a lot of spondoolies to train me i'm more than a little dismayed with this one.

Certifications: A+ Network+
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

As Boyce said bin that TestKing rubbish as it will be a braindump. We do not support braindumping here as it is cheating. It's cheating because they are illegally sourced actual questions and answers from the vendors exams. They ignore the NDA (non disclosure agreement) we all sign. They are not your friend and if it's discovered that you have cheated, you could lose your hard earned certs.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. flopstocks

flopstocks Nibble Poster

Thanks for the advice I had no idea about the Testkings. Who do you suggest for practice exams then? I'm beginning to wish I purchased the Delux edition of the David Groth book now, as it had more exam practice!

Certifications: A+, Network+, CCNA, BSc(Hons) Open
  6. Malnomates

Quality doesn't come cheap,as the old adage dictates,but the extra few quid you spend on Transcenders practice exam package is more than worthwhile my friend.The package comes complete with a set of 'flashcards' that I find to be invaluable in my studies.You also get the option to take the practice exams in learning mode,which will give you the option to 'see' the entire answer with a full explanation.You also get simulation mode,whivh will simulate the real exam with a time limit,question bookmarking etc etc.

Preplogic also provide an excellent exam package so it may be worth looking at that one too.

You have a few options when buying these packages,from buying it outright to purchasing a 30 day license that you would use in the weeks leading up to your exam.

I hope this helps a little and good luck with your N+.

7. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

i just got that deluxe edition of ebay for a fiver, il see if i can find it for ya

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  8. Raffaz

9. Malnomates

Thats the book covering the old N10-002 objectives,good for reference only really.You should be looking at the Fourth edition to cover the 2005 objectives.

10. Raffaz

Ah right mate, never realised that. Its ideal for me tho coz im doing A+ and networking is one of my weak areas coz i havent much experience of it. I got the book just to try and help me get a better understanding of that area. Just out of interest, what has changed in the 2005 objectives. Cheers

Mick

11. Malnomates

CompTIA giva a list of objectives and a list of changed objectives from N10-002.There's quite a lot of new material and a lot of legacy technology dropped from them.The N10-002 book will be handy for the A+ 2003 exams since it covers older technologies such as 10base2 and 10base5.