1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Network Security

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Godson, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Godson

Godson Bit Poster

After months of finishing uni I think i've finally decided what IT path i would like to explore; Network security... Seems like the only path that isn't over-exposed and there's still big money to be made (wireless network) :D :D :D

Let me know what its like (if anyone is currently working as a network security guy). Any feedback about Network security would be appreciated....
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

how bout going down a route that appeals to you? one that will make you enjoy waking up every morning?
    if thats IT security, then GREAT go for it, its my field too
    but its a myth that it isnt over exposed, and that it pays tons! :)
    by the time your near the higher echelons (the ones that are always in demand, and pay high) you will have as much competition as a pegion in trafalgar square!
    Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

IT Security has been in *big* demand in the last 4 or 5 years so the illusion is that there are tons of high paying jobs. To fill the *need*, many experienced and newbie techs have gotten security training. While it isn't a bad thing for you to have this as your goal, as Phoenix says, it isn't the path to instant riches, either. I also agree with his statement that your career goals should reflect what you love to do, not just how much it pays. What if you find out that you *hate* trying to secure networks but just love being a DBA? It happens.
    Certifications: A+ and Network+