Network Security!

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Fluid, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

Hi,

Im considering going into Network Security i was wandering what certificates are available for that apart from:

Comptia Security+
    Comptia Network+
    Cisco CCNA
    Cisco CCSP
    Cisco CCIE

Also will you be able to state how long the cert lasts you before you have to retake the exams. I.e. cisco every 3 years. Thanks!8)

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Cisco: every 3 years
    CompTIA: certified for life

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Most Vendors have an own security course. With Microsoft you could take course 2821 (PKI) 2823 (implementing security) or 2830 (designing security). Also a course 2824 (ISA server) would fit in this line.
    A special security course could be CEH (Ethical Hacker). It wil train you to think in a different way and so make your network more secure. The latter one could be followed by ECSA (security analist). Certification is for life. It the methode of thinking.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

You seem to be hedging yourself in to a very Cisco coloured field, there :)

Check out this brief guide on the Cramsession website.

Our own guy, has MCSE as well as a few other things, and is looking at CEH as something he's interested in. And CISSP. But I believe they take a good few years of experience before you approach them (which he, thankfully, has).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

who is the CEH and the ECSA by? how long do they last? Are MS certs 3 years as well?

6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

CEH stands for Certified Ethical Hacker - it is becoming the standard entry-level cert for people looking to get into the Pen-Testing field. It's not aimed solely at pen-testers though - as Tinus said, it aims to get you used to thinking with the mindset of a hacker so that you can better prepare yourself for attacks when they come.

The ECSA is the 'next stage' up from the CEH. It is much more focussed on the analysis of hacking than the broad-based approach the CEH takes. Whilst the CEH will give you basic knowledge of the tools and methodologies used by hackers to penetrate your defences, the ECSA will explain in much more depth how to analyse the results you receive from those tools and methods.

Both of these certs are provided by the EC-Council - a vendor-neutral certification and education body that is beginning to gain widespread acceptance and recognition in the Security Industry.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. Iceberg

Iceberg New Member

Good luck going all the way to CCIE:Sec it won't be easy!
    I swept through CCSP and have no will *yet* to go for the higher level, it requires about a year of studies with boot camps and/or your own personal lab at home, hence a severe budget!
    As most suggested, EC-Council certs are very important with security matters, they have an interesting curriculum as per their Ms of Security Sciences certification (MSS).
    And if you get 3 to 4 years of heavy security professional experience, go for CISSP!

Best of lucks :-)

Certifications: MCSA +S, Sec+, CCNA, CCSP
    WIP: MCSE, CEH, CHFI, LPT