1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

network plus old exam

Discussion in 'Network+' started by DAVID ARROWSMITH, Feb 23, 2008.

1. DAVID ARROWSMITH

DAVID ARROWSMITH Nibble Poster

i have chance to buy the comptia network plus by michael meyers for a cheap price for the exam before the update in 2005. is it worth buying just for a bit of general info or is there too much difference from the old exam to the updated one ?

Certifications: a plus
    WIP: exam 70-620 windows vista
  2. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Depends how much £££
    But it's old stuff and may not be any use these days, but sometimes can be a good reference tool to have.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  3. DAVID ARROWSMITH

DAVID ARROWSMITH Nibble Poster

paying about £5.00 for it !

Certifications: a plus
    WIP: exam 70-620 windows vista
  4. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Hmm, 2001 edition is £4 on Amazon, 2004 edition is £18...

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  5. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

If it's just a £5 delivered then go for it.
    Would be a good reference book to have.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  6. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Well taking into consideration that you said that you have a "chance to buy the comptia network plus by michael meyers for a cheap price FOR THE EXAM before the update in 2005.", then I would recommend that you get the latest book available. If its not for the actual Net+ exam, then you could go ahead. But bear in mind that CompTIA only updates an exam once they're making changes and adding NEW stuff. So either way I would advise you to get the latest book.......even if its just for reference. No use buying an outdated book to use for modern reference purposes.

Certifications: CompTIA A+ & Network+
    WIP: MCSA: 70-270
  7. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

I bought my network+ Mike Meyers book with A+ book in a bundle. Studying A+ first then once passed moved on to N+.

I went to book the exam online but realised there was an error because my book said one year and the pearson vue said another.

I decided to phone up and was told that Comptia had changed the exam, but I'd booked a day off work to pass and decided to go for it anyway.

I scraped a pass although there seemed to be quite a bit of Novell related questions in mine that I had no clue about what-so-ever.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The N+ exam objectives have not changed, compTIA only call the exam N+ 2007 now there is a bit of added content such as Novell but the objectives technically remain the same.

The Mike Meyers N+ 2005 is fine but I would recommend gettin the groth book too.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Yes, I would also recommend the following books:

1] Sybex CompTIA Network+ Study Guide (2005) 4th Edition - David Groth & Toby Skandier
    2] Sybex Network Administrator Street Smarts - A Real World Guide to CompTIA Network+ Skills (2006) - Toby Skandier

We all know what the first book is about, but the second one is a real gold mine. Its more or less labs. It gives real life network scenarios, and practical situations where you will have to apply your theoretical knowledge. It covers the 2 "heavy" objectives: 3.0 Network Implementation (25%) & 4.0 Network Support (35%). Since everyone prefers the first book over the Mike Meyers for the Net+, then the second book would definitely go hand in hand since the same author co-authored the Study Guide with Groth. Hope this helps!

10. monkey

monkey New Member

Thanx Neil!!

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: MCSA
  11. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you're getting it for a reference, then yes, it's worth getting. If you're getting it to study for the exam, then no - get the latest version of the book.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. fsimeta

fsimeta Nibble Poster

A bit of added content? :) I had nearly 20 questions on Netware doing my <failed> N+ exam last August. Swines! It caught me out; but made me more determined to pass it next time (well, that and the £185 resit fee) :blink

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia Network+
    WIP: MCP, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  13. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

You're welcome. And btw WELCOME to CF! :biggrin