Network+ passed (almost) - What next?

Discussion in 'Network+' started by nazamhussain, Feb 23, 2007.

1. nazamhussain

nazamhussain New Member

I have booked the Network+ exam for tomorrow morning ... I feel confident that I'll pass as I've been scoring over 85% on Transcender and practice exams from various study books. The point of this post is ... and I may be jumping the gun ... but I'm already thinking about what to do next ...

MCSA or CCNA

CCNA would be good due to its continuation from Network+ but I can't afford the cost of setting up a lab (I've seen kits for £700) to get hands-on-experience right now. I'm working at a school at the moment as a junior techie and so get plenty of hands-on experience with the MS side of stuff.

Any suggestions on how I can get quality hands-on experience with Cisco at low-cost prices? Where can I get the kit from? What route would you suggest seeing as I am now broke for a while?

Thanks

Naz

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP
    WIP: CCNA or MCSA
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Good Luck! (almost needed!) concentrate on your exam tomorrow, cram up what you need for your notes and other revision tools, and you could discuss what you wanna do next after you pass!

3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

good luck for tomorrow

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I would say since you working with MS products then MCSA should be your next cert. Before starting out with MCSA consider doing the MCDST (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcdst/default.mspx) for 3 reasons:

1. Gentle introduction to MS exams and the way you need to study for them.
    2. Its an elective (but so is your A+ and N+ combined).
    3. Its another cert behind your name.

Edit: and good luck for tomorrow!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

I wish you all the best for tomorrow..remember to get a good nights sleep, drinking can happen saturday!!:alc

Good luck:thumbleft

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  6. GW

GW Byte Poster

I paid over $7000 for my kit in total but if I was going to do it all over again in the present time I would scour the web and possibly to rent time on other peoples Cisco Racks.

There are quite a few companies and people who will sell you time to connect remotely to their Cisco Rack so you can practice on them for a set amount of time.

It is the cheapest way outside of buying your own kit and you can get exposure to higher end stuff like VoIP and at times IDS sensors that you wouldn't be able to afford to buy on eBay.

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA
  7. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Good luck.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  8. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Good luck Nassam, not that you need it since you already have an N+..:biggrin

Certifications: A+ Network+
  9. nazamhussain

nazamhussain New Member

Thankyou all for wishing me luck.

I passed the N+ exam this morning ... I got 717 ... it's not as well as I thought I could have done ... but then again, I still don't really understand comptia's scoring system ... is it as simple as 717/900 (80% ish) - if so then I'm happy. If anyone can shed some light on this then I would really appreciate it ... not that it matters now - a pass is a pass!

The Cisco kit looks pretty expensive so I may end up doing an MCSA first as I will only need 290 and 291 to acheive it. Just a thought though, would I need cisco kit to pass the Intro exam? or would I only need that for the INCD part?

Thankyou Certforums and Certforummers!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP
    WIP: CCNA or MCSA
  10. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Good job mate. Yup a pass is a pass and that's all you need. I dont know much about the cisco kit so I guess you'll have to wait to the others to respond.

Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  11. GW

GW Byte Poster

Just to let yu know, I bought my Cisco Kit back about 2002 so the prices back then were pretty expensive. But looking at prices now on eBay things are much cheaper for the 2500 series routers which are still pretty usable for the exams.

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA
  12. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Congrats now onto the next one:clap

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations on the pass :beers2

Also as already said, the kits on ebay are quite cheap.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  15. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

I would also recommend Boson Netsim for the CCNA. I've heard its quite good!

Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685