Network+ or Notwork+ (Passed)

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Donmac, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Donmac

Donmac Bit Poster

Have just passed my Network+ Exam (Vue testing centre) with a mark of 707. I would have liked to have passed with a higher mark, but I guess a pass is a pass.

There are in any case some questions I feel impelled to ask given the appalling grammar and spelling mistakes I came across in the paper. Who wrote the questions? Was English their first language? I was also astounded to come across 2 or 3 questions dealing with NT4 server installs... It's been 6 years since I last worked on an NT4 Server and God willing I will never have to work on one again...

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great qualification to have on the CV I'm just a little unhappy with CompTia's pricing compared to the quality of the exam.

Anyone else had the same problems?

Certifications: a few
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Ex2k7, Win2k8
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Congrats on the pass!

What questions you get seem to be very much the luck of the draw. I remember being pleasantly suprised that my exam seemed to be fairly up to date!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Congrats:thumbleft

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass, I havent taken any exams yet, but i'd expect the grammar to be perfect... I'll have to keep my eye out. :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. Donmac

Donmac Bit Poster

Thanks for the congrats guys.

Trying not to break CompTIA's NDA... But on the spelling front "A Firewall doing Pocket filtering" was a question that made me ask who had written the questions.

I'm going to write to CompTIA over the weekend and see if I can get and answer...

Certifications: a few
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Ex2k7, Win2k8
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats :) That's true, a pass is a pass.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Unfortunately, that's not the case on CompTIA exams.

The questions are written by what they call Subject Matter Experts, or SMEs. When CompTIA wants to update their exams, they send an e-mail to people who have passed the exam before and invite them (last time I checked) to fly out to Chicago (or wherever they were... and at the SME's expense!) and write questions for very little money. Certainly wasn't worth my time (and expense!) to take them up on their invite.

As a result, the questions are poorly written, and the editing process leaves something to be desired. Don't get me wrong, I think that CompTIA's certifications are good to have... but I've seen more than my fair share of poorly formed questions on their exams.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Well done on the pass

I'm going to give Network+ a try shortly after dicovering I've already covered most of the exam objectives in other qualifications.

I think CompTIA have a certain question style not unlike City & Guilds from a few years ago.

A bit like Marmite ..... love it or hate it:biggrin

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congratulations on the pass. With regards to the wording of the exams I have heard numerous comments in the past that it has not been worded properly.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell