Network Nubee

Discussion in 'Network+' started by robbo1962, Jun 21, 2007.

1. robbo1962

robbo1962 Byte Poster

Hi, i am considering doing the Network + and would like to ask all of you who have done both the A+ and the N+ a couple of questions. 1. In terms of studying how long did the N+ take you to study compared to the A+,( i realise that this is a bit of a how long is a piece of string type question but would like to get a rough idea on how long N+ takes).
    2. did you find it easier or harder than A+.
    3. which were the most effective study aids you used.
    Thanks in advance folks, would'nt have made it to this forum without the assistance i received in the A+ one.
    Gary

Certifications: A+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It would be irresponsible for me to tell you how long YOU should take to pass the exam. Everyone is different. Each person has different levels of experience, each person has different study habits, and each person has different responsibilities that will pull them away from their studies. Some people are better at memorizing information, and some people are better at taking exams. What might take me more than a year to study might take someone else a week or less.

So to tell you how long it SHOULD take you would be irresponsible. Study until you completely understand the concepts. Then pass the exam. It's as simple as that. :)

Most people find Network+ to be more difficult than A+. But someone who is experienced with networks, but hasn't kept up with hardware trends, might find Net+ to be easier than A+.

I recommend the Network+ Sybex book.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'll mention that BM has given an excelent answer. But you ask how long did *I* take.

I found it was equivalent to one of the A+ exams.

But then I recon I know networking pretty well.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. robbo1962

robbo1962 Byte Poster

Thanks for the replies, A+ took me about a year to do both but it was'nt constant studying. Think i will try to get more hands on with the A+ for the time being and see how that goes. Thanks Gary.

Certifications: A+
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

The N+ exam didn't seem to be as anxiety provoking for me as the A+ exams (particularly the old OS exam) but then after I'd passed the A+ tests, I had that information and experience to use as a basis for studying networking. As has been said, each person experiences these things differently. Your mileage may vary.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

For me, while it took me 6 months to study for the A+, it only took me 1 months to study for the Network+. But that's mainly because the A+ was my first professional cert and by the time I was studying for the Network+, I was actually doing a job that was related to the Network+ already.

So it does vary based on the individual person, they prior knowledge and how much time you actually put in. Basically what BostonM said (didn't want to use BM - it reminds me of something else we used the abbreviation BM for, when I worked in Care) :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security