Network nightmare...

Discussion in 'Networks' started by kat731, Jul 25, 2007.

1. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi all, hope all are well,

aint been around much, but wont go into that here..

As some of you know, im an IT Tech just me and my IT manager who is very tech savvy. Well, last week he left:eek:

My new IT manager is a nice guy, but has been employed solely for his unix database skills. His tech knowledge and network know how is limited.
    We have just had an Astaro network kit put in, and now we're having probs. Im stuck, im trying to help him but hes somewhat lost. This is beyond me, but hope Zeb or BM etc could help. The following is an email from Astaro tech manager this morning which may help you lot see what the prob is without me confusing the issue.
    Thanks everyone,

Kat:biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Looks like the guys who are responsible for the VPN tunnels have to change their endpoint (the published IP of the Astaro) as the IP address has changed.

I take it the sonicwall is the firewall on your site? It may be that the Firewall was the original endpoint for the VPN tunnels and now that has been changed the Astaro box. Basically when you create a point to point VPN in the Sonicwall you can specify a remote subnet and this takes care of the routing. As the device may not be the VPN endpoint anymore chances are those routes are not there.

I think you need to check the routing tables on all your devices and run a tracert to find out where the packets are going. It looks like you may need to add some static routes on the Astaro device to point at the sonicwall for all your remote subnets.

Can you give us some more info on the network setup? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Thanks Spark,

sorry to be vague, but still trying to get my head round business networking!! Im loathe to do it in a way as hes getting 13k more than me and dosent know!! But i want to learn.

Yeh, they put it back on for some reason, i think because the internet was running slow.. i think it should be taken off as i think the astaro has a firewall.
    I will do a tracert tomorrow and post it, along with more info.

Kat

4. Sparky

What kind of Sonicwall is it and how many remote sites do you have? If its a Pro 1260 and that should be ok.

What is the astaro actually doing? Is it monitoring web and email traffic?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Ok Spark,
    Leave that with me, post back in morning.
    Kat

6. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi Spark,
    yeh its a Pro 100. Astaro yeh. Just had a brief word with my ex IT manager and he said, Kev do you remember us doing route add? Errr, yeh, he said just route add 192.168.x.x mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.x.x -gateway and it should be ok. Ok i did that but 255.0 was a bad parameter? did 255 and it now allows me to ping the remote address but the remote sites of which there are 4 still cant get outlook, though strategix and internet is ok. Iv probably made a mistake. Asked my new manager to do me a tracert and he dosent know.....................:x

Kat

7. Sparky

How do the remote sites get their email? Is there an Exchange server on the site or do they access a mail server on your site.

If possible on a remote site can you telnet on port 25 to your mail server.

telnet <ip address of server> 25

If it doesnt work then try pinging the mail server, if that works then it looks like SMTP traffic is getting blocked somewhere.

Edit: You may have to add a static route on the remote sites as well.

8. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Thanks for you're help Spark.

Managed to get my head round route print/add and solved it..:D

Emails are aflowing once more!!!!
    Everyone was pleased with me, might be a simple thing for some, but im quite proud of myself!!

Kat

9. Sparky

Nice one mate :thumbleft

10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Now go and ask for a 13k payrise :wink:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  11. Sparky

Doesn't work that way mate, hee hee! :biggrin