Network Monitoring/Testing Tools

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Wireless_Snake, May 12, 2012.

1. Wireless_Snake

Wireless_Snake Nibble Poster

Hi all

I'm starting to put together a USB drive with a collection of networking tools for when I'm designing and testing networks. My question is; do you have any software based tools which you would recommend? These can be wired and wireless tools.

Cheers

Certifications: BSc (Hons) Computer Network Tech, CCNA, CCAI
    WIP: CCNP, VCP 5, SCP
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Chuck backtrack on a bootable USB, everything you'll ever need assuming you have some linux skills.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. sammy_bibs

sammy_bibs Bit Poster

Yes backtrack is pretty ninja, but if your powers in linux are not up to it there is a few others. A popular one is 'whats up gold' personally I dont like it. But its simple and easy to use with ping sweeps access your network & you can probaly pick it up for free.

One I have found recnetly is PRTG I have not fully delved into it yet but from the offset it looks nice, you can set up some cool features to monitor various aspects, no just link states. Network monitoring software, network performance management | Paessler

But as JK metioned, backtracks pretty cool & if for no other reason it's worth brusing up on the old linx skills.

May the force be with you,

Sam.

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, SCSA, MCSA, BSc
    WIP: IINS
  4. rickeybahl

rickeybahl New Member

KocharTech provides a Network Testing module that offers a signal strength testing solution framework which allows you to track all consumer touch points, in terms of their accurate manner of working. The testing is through physical probes located across different locations. This is needed to analyze the network’s behavior in detail and reach the interoperability between networks and network components.Our Solution includes

LTE/3G/GPRS Network Testing-
    HTTP/FTP Download/Upload Speeds
    HTTP/FTP Download/Upload Latency
    Packet Loss%
    Data Network Trace Route
    Signal Strength
    Cell ID
    Average Packet Transfer Duration
    Network Type
    Longitude & Latitude
    MNC
    MCC
    APN
    Date & Time

5. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

As has been said, Backtrack is probably one of the handiest tool repositories with what I'd call the essentials.

You don't have to know linux in any detail to get most of the common basic stuff running, no different to windows in a lot of respects.

My linux skills are relatively non existant but used to use Backtrack daily when pen testing.