Network+ Is it easy to self study?

Discussion in 'Network+' started by millsy18, Nov 8, 2007.

1. millsy18

millsy18 New Member

Hello all,

Currently doing the A+ at the moment. The problem is the course is only 2 hours a week and will take until May to complete. Plus I tried to get onto the course with other college's but they say it is essential that I have the A+ first but this will take to long to wait until September next year to start the Network+

So now to my question, how hard is the network+ to self study? Anyone with experience in that area or anyone with any information much appreciated thanks.

Dan

Certifications: GNVQ ICT...A+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Depends on your aptitude. Way back when, I tried to self study the A+ and failed terribly. I ended up taking a two-year course at my local uni to get the basics of hardware, software, networking, and operating systems (and a few other things). Of course, I had absolutely no experience when I tried to self study and without a context, I couldn't make heads of tails of things.

Plenty of other people self study the A+ and Network+ material very successfully. If you have an aptitude for it and a smattering of experience, you should be able to pull it off. I'd recommend you get your hands on the Network+ Study Guide published by Sybex (written by Groth) and use that. It's about the best one out there. Start reading through the book and judge for yourself how challenging the material seems to be. You should figure out pretty quickly how well you'll be able to absorb the material and put it into practice.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Is it possible to pass by self study? Yes.

How hard is it? Depends on you. What is easy for me might be difficult for you, and vice versa. For example, it's easy for some people to draw... I can't do it well. But I can sing, and some people find that difficult.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!