Network Infrastructure Poll

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by craigie, Apr 18, 2009.

?

How Many Domains, Trees, Forest Do You Work With?

Poll closed Apr 23, 2009.
  1. One Forest & Domain

90.9%
  2. One Forest, One Tree, Two Domains

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. One Forest, One Tree, Three Domains

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. One Forest, One Tree, Four Domains

9.1%
  5. One Forest, One Tree, Five Domains Plus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Two Forests, Two Trees, Two Domains

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Two Forests, Three Trees, Three Domains

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Two Forests, Four Trees, Four Domains Plus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Just working my way through the 70-297 Active Directory Network Infrastructure MS Press Book and thought it would be good to have a poll!

How many Domains, Trees and Forests do you work with?

Any reasoning behind the choices as well would be good e.g

- 6 Domains due to legacy NT4.0 network
    - 2 Domains due to different security requirements on each.
    - 2 Forests due to company merger and wanted to keep each companies soverignty
    - 4 Domains due to geographics and decentralization of comanies administration.
    - 1 Domain keep it simple and roll out the OU's for delegation and administration.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Currently only 1 forest & one domain, we used to have 1 forest & two domains. However we merged them due to administration ease. I used to work with 1 forest, 3 domains and 15+ sites, we also had a trust with another organisation, when I was studying for my MCSA/MCSE.

This doesn't include any test labs at home or at work.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Same as wagnerk, nice and simple :)

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Most networks I support are one domain.

I did take on a network a while back and each site had its own domain and there was no trusts between any of the domains. This was a nightmare when users travelled to another site with a laptop as they couldn’t log onto the network. Ended up installing a new domain and putting a two way trust in to all the other domains and then used ADMT to migrate everything. Was a big job but worth the hassle as the network admin is much easier now.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Mate that sounds crazy!

Did they have a NT4.0 network originally?

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

SAme as Wagnerk 1 forest, 1 domain. Used to be 2 domains but rolled into 1 for admin ease. I think most school will have been 2 domains, 1 for the admin staff and 1 for the pupils.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Well they bought routers that did not support site to site VPNs so the sites could not be connected. All of the mail routing from the main site was sent through SMTP to the other sites, it was a crazy setup tbh. The first phase was installing the firewalls and changing the LAN subnets as some of them were the same.

I thought the original design was on NT as well and perhaps they couldnt be bothered to restructure but as there was no site to site connectivity it looks like that was why there was one domain per site.

When I rebooted some of the older servers I had to choice to boot NT or Server 2003, as you do! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

One forest, four domains. Teo each for the US and Europe (internal domain and a web domain for the DMZ)

Administrative overhead is minimal - provided you use the correct group model everything manages itself.

I've worked with everything from single forest, domain and site structures right up to the most complex setups imaginable - but the current role I have is just about perfect

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Strange you should mention the rootdomain and internal.rootdomain

In one MS Press Book, the 70-294 if I recall correctly they recommend rootdomain for your web presence and internal.rootdomain for your Infrastrcuture, then in the second breath in the 70-297 they recommend the single domain for both.

From my overall understanding, keep it simple and use the single domain if that works or for extra security requirements go down the rootdomain and internal.rootdomain.

10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

One forest and one domain for me. I haven't worked with anything other than that.:oops:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685