1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Network Engineering

Discussion in 'A+' started by greenbrucelee, Jun 27, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

As some of you know I have been going to do the A+ through a training provider but have come to the realisation that I self study through advice from the good people on here.

I am wanting to become a network engineer, not really wanting to do desktop support would the general concensious be that I do the A+ then N+ then an MCP in MS server or should I go for MSCE after that or something else.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What’s wrong with desktop support mate?

To be honest it’s very difficult to go straight into a network support job. You really need experience in regard to how a desktop PC is used in a domain environment.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Exchange 2007\2010
  3. greenbrucelee

Nothing wrong with desktop support its just that what I really want to do is working in a network engineer role, I know I may have to start in desktop support, but what I am more interested in the moment is what certs to get whilst looking for a job.

4. Sparky

Cool, personally I would go for A+ Network+ and MCDST while looking for an entry level IT job. This could be helpdesk or a desktop support type role.

If it helps I worked on a helpdesk for 9 months before moving into network support. Still need to do some desktop support now and again though, there is no escape! :biggrin

5. greenbrucelee

Cheers Sparky do the A+ and N+ count towards any part of the MCDST?

6. Sparky

No, but you can use the A+ and Network+ towards MCSA if you decide to do that in the future.

Maybe go for a Microsoft cert after the A+? If you have "Microsoft Certified" on your CV it might get your CV past the HR department and into the hands of the IT manager. :biggrin

7. greenbrucelee

Would it not be a bit difficult to go from A+ straight to MCP?

8. Sparky

I had a look at the MS Press books for the 70-271 and 70-272 and I think you could go for that after the A+ if you wanted to.

Good to have a spare PC (or virtual) so you can install XP and mess around with it.

9. greenbrucelee

If I decide to get virtual pc instead of getting a throw away computer how do I get the operating systems do I have to actually own them or pay for some sort of licence?

10. BosonMichael

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

To be honest, it's nigh impossible to go straight into a network support job. You most *definitely* need experience in regards to the problems that users have with regards to network connectivity using their desktop PCs in a domain environment.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. greenbrucelee

I will just concentrate on desktop support at the moment then?

Also with Virtual PC do I need the licenses or operating systems to use them?

12. BosonMichael

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sounds like a plan.

Yes, you do need a valid license for whatever OS you use on the virtual partition. It works and operates (more or less) just like you're installing it on a fresh computer. Therefore, you need a legal copy of the OS.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Sorry to but in the thred, but Sparkey might have a massive point here.

I was planning to start the Net+ next but perhaps having "Microsoft Certified" on my CV or even stating that I am studying for it could help.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  14. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Ms Press MSDST books come with an evaluation copy of XP Professional vaild for 180 days! :biggrin

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  15. greenbrucelee

Cheers Spilly but I already have xp pro as a spare OS but would like some older MS OS like Windows 98 and newer ones like vista or even server 2003