Network Engineering

Discussion in 'A+' started by greenbrucelee, Jun 27, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

As some of you know I have been going to do the A+ through a training provider but have come to the realisation that I self study through advice from the good people on here.

I am wanting to become a network engineer, not really wanting to do desktop support would the general concensious be that I do the A+ then N+ then an MCP in MS server or should I go for MSCE after that or something else.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What’s wrong with desktop support mate?

To be honest it’s very difficult to go straight into a network support job. You really need experience in regard to how a desktop PC is used in a domain environment.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. greenbrucelee

Nothing wrong with desktop support its just that what I really want to do is working in a network engineer role, I know I may have to start in desktop support, but what I am more interested in the moment is what certs to get whilst looking for a job.

4. Sparky

Cool, personally I would go for A+ Network+ and MCDST while looking for an entry level IT job. This could be helpdesk or a desktop support type role.

If it helps I worked on a helpdesk for 9 months before moving into network support. Still need to do some desktop support now and again though, there is no escape! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. greenbrucelee

Cheers Sparky do the A+ and N+ count towards any part of the MCDST?

6. Sparky

No, but you can use the A+ and Network+ towards MCSA if you decide to do that in the future.

Maybe go for a Microsoft cert after the A+? If you have "Microsoft Certified" on your CV it might get your CV past the HR department and into the hands of the IT manager. :biggrin

7. greenbrucelee

Would it not be a bit difficult to go from A+ straight to MCP?

8. Sparky

I had a look at the MS Press books for the 70-271 and 70-272 and I think you could go for that after the A+ if you wanted to.

Good to have a spare PC (or virtual) so you can install XP and mess around with it.

9. greenbrucelee

If I decide to get virtual pc instead of getting a throw away computer how do I get the operating systems do I have to actually own them or pay for some sort of licence?

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

To be honest, it's nigh impossible to go straight into a network support job. You most *definitely* need experience in regards to the problems that users have with regards to network connectivity using their desktop PCs in a domain environment.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. greenbrucelee

I will just concentrate on desktop support at the moment then?

Also with Virtual PC do I need the licenses or operating systems to use them?

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sounds like a plan.

Yes, you do need a valid license for whatever OS you use on the virtual partition. It works and operates (more or less) just like you're installing it on a fresh computer. Therefore, you need a legal copy of the OS.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Sorry to but in the thred, but Sparkey might have a massive point here.

I was planning to start the Net+ next but perhaps having "Microsoft Certified" on my CV or even stating that I am studying for it could help.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  14. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Ms Press MSDST books come with an evaluation copy of XP Professional vaild for 180 days! :biggrin

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  15. greenbrucelee

Cheers Spilly but I already have xp pro as a spare OS but would like some older MS OS like Windows 98 and newer ones like vista or even server 2003