Network emulation software

Discussion in 'Software' started by Luke Garbett, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Luke Garbett

Luke Garbett Bit Poster

Hi all

I am curious as to whether anyone knows (or if it even exists to be honest) of any network emulation tools.

Basically what i would like it to do is emulate several workstations simultaneously, so i can practice getting some experience in the setup of those workstations, along with the server setup, and then proceed to have them comunicate with one another.

I wont be using the workstations to do any other work or tasks on, purely as an emulator to practice getting those set up, as when i study for my MCDBA one of the modules i may be taking is to do with Windows 2003 server networking.

I have heard of and know of a friend who uses VMware but they use it to run linux within windows so i dnt think this would work.

If anyone could suggest any software (icluding prices would be useful too but not essential as I could easily google them to find prices) I would be very much obliged. Or if i am wrong about VMware then please do feel free to correct me having never used it myself

Certifications: BTEC Nat. Dip. in ICT Systems Support
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

easy enough - virtual pc or vmware - both are free - these are application that are run on your computer virtually...

3. Luke Garbett

Luke Garbett Bit Poster

Thanks for the more than quick reply (before i even left the thread after typing it i had the email regarding your reply so was very shocked)

However is VMware capable of running say 2 workstations simultaneously, and allowing those two to comminucate with one another as though they were networked together (assuming i set one up as a server anyway)?

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep! Network communications are possible. You don't even need one set up as a server.

Keep in mind that you have to have a legal copy of the OS you are installing on each virtual machine... for example, you can't use one copy for two virtual machines, or a virtual machine and the host machine.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Luke Garbett

Luke Garbett Bit Poster

Yeah thats cool, I'm hoping i might be able to have access to an activation key for windows server 2003 (a legit key that is) shortly, so will be using that. And would like one set up as server so i can also gain practice in installing it and managing the server side of things.

Thanks for your help guys, especially for the speed of it all, been extremely helpful

6. Mr.Cheeks

the virtual workstations/servers can be how many you want... it all depends on the spec of your manage and how resources you allocate to your virtual machine... normally, what should is install the virtual machine with recommeded specs, say give it 512mb of RAM and once install, decrease the amount to 256.

7. Luke Garbett

Luke Garbett Bit Poster

Ah right. ill have a little play around with it later on this evening when i have more time avialable to dedicate to it.

Is it hard software to use? (as i say i haven't ever used it, but it looks fairly straight forward from what i seen)

8. Mr.Cheeks

install software as usual
    and
    install operating system as how you would install it on a physical machine.
    the procedure is exactly the same as what you would do if it was in a live enviroment.

9. Luke Garbett

Luke Garbett Bit Poster

Superb.

Thanks for the help mate, can't wait to get started on it now and get my fingers dirty so to speak

10. Mr.Cheeks

just take it easy on the motherboard... doesnt like to get too trashed! she must just over-heat and pop

11. Luke Garbett

Luke Garbett Bit Poster

I'll try and be careful (famous last words i fear)