Network+ eLearning course

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Nhopkins, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Nhopkins

Nhopkins New Member

Hi Guys,

First up, great site, getting a cert seems to be a real minefield, this site is really helping me make some choices.

After having worked in I.T for over 10 years, I feel I have a decent amount of experience, but due to the paths I’ve taken, I have no recognised certification to back my experience up.

I've been looking into various certs, the CompTIA Network+ course seems to fit the bill, I was just wondering if anyone could advise on the course, and specifically if the eLearning route is a good path to take? CompTIA's site list's it as $539/£340 for 6months, which seems like a decent price compared to some others I've seen, although this wouldn't appear to include exams, which if I'm mistaken, there are two of?

Although subjective I know, is there a rough timescale for how long the average is to complete this cert? I notice if you're qualified before December 31st, you are considered as having a lifetime cert.

I'm very keen to get certified, partly to back up my experience, partly for the challenge, I don't want to go down the training centre route, doing as much from home is bar far the best solution for me.

Any pointers or experiences would be most welcome.

Thanks

Nick

P.s, if this is in the wrong place please advice, and I shall ask for it to be moved.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

There is only one main exam for this cert.

I would recommend as would most people on here that you just buy the textbook (there are several to choose from) and self study. Its far cheaper and there is loads of info around about this cert.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. veloce

veloce Byte Poster

Hi,

took me in the region of 6 months to do the a+. As most of the subject matter was completely new to me, I'd imagine others could do it in less time. Obviously this is a+ and not network+ so not sure of the similarities!

I was doing in the region of 10+ hours a week. Probably could have done it sooner but for having a young baby to contend with!

Mike Myers all-in-one gets my vote!

Good luck whatever you decide

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
    Certifications: A+
    WIP: BSc Hons Computing & IT
  4. Nhopkins

Nhopkins New Member

Thanks both of you, I've just this second bought MM All-in-one, I'll see how I get on with that for a bit, and take it from there! Thank you for the advice.

5. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

There are 2 exams for the A+ and 1 for N+

I studied on/off for probably a year due to other commitments before I finally spent 2 months studying to pass the exam. I used the Network+ all in one book as well.

You did post in the correct forum btw

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  6. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Welcome to CF! I just got the N+ less than 2 weeks ago. I used the book by Lammle and it seemed to cover all the stuff I needed to know. I might have tried the Meyers book except I had already bought the Lammle book and the Exam Cram (both of which came with practice questions. I got my discount test voucher from the Meyers website which also can come with practice questions. I don't know if the Meyers vouchers work outside the states (I think they might not). Good luck on the preparation.

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple