Network Connection

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Buck, May 26, 2007.

1. Buck

Buck Bit Poster

Hi Folks,

I've setup a wireless network, which is fine. However I can not get a internet connection. This is strange, because it use to work just fine, but now nothing. It connects to the wireless router but not the internet.
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Certifications: N/A Nearly got a Degree
    WIP: A+ N+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

How do you know it is fine? I think we need some more info here to help diagnose the problem. Such as: make/model of router, ADSL/Cable, what other machines are on your local network etc.
    What happens when you connect the PC (I'm assuming it is a PC) direct to the router with Ethernet?
    Do you get the correct IP addresses on the PC when connected via WiFi?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Buck,

Question:
    1. What kind of internet service do you have?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  4. Buck

Buck Bit Poster

Hi Harry & R H Lee sorry about the long delay in replying.

Harry - it's a Linksys WRT54G route which is connected to the PC and then the internet using cable. All i'm using is the PC as the main connection and laptop for wireless. When I try to connect to the internet via the laptop all i get is a message saying cannot connect to the internet. However laptop picks up a signal form the linksys route telling me I have a strong signal - but no internet connection.

R H Lee - Virgin media broadband connection

once again sorry for the late reply

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Ah - at least it is a well known router - and I happen to have a manual for it here!

I take it that the main PC has no problems?

First thing to do is switch off all encryption on the router - that often makes things confusing. When you have the connection working then you can switch it on again.

For WiFi it is important to know which OS, and which service pack, is on the laptop. This can make a huge difference as to how to get things working.

When the laptop is 'connected' check what IP address it has got. If this isn't near to the one on the main PC it may be one starting 169, which means that it isn't really connected!

You need to check on the router that there isn't a MAC filter applied, and also see if the MAC for the laptop shows up in the connected list.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Is it a simple router, or a combined modem/router.

Im taking it for granted that you have configured it with the information regarding your ISP (passwords, address, DNS, etc).

Is the wired pc able to connect to the internet or is it just the laptop. If it is just the laptop then (as already mentioned), try to connect without WAP/WPA.
    Let us know how you get on!!

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  7. Buck

Buck Bit Poster

Cheers Harry/ StuPeas

I'll try your advice and let yous know how I get on.

Thanks again.

8. Buck

Buck Bit Poster

Hi guy’s got it up & working again, I just reinstalled the linksys router, set the laptop up with the SSID & WAP and hey presto it works. The thing that really bothers me is that I am sure I did all this before my first post to the forum. Anyway it’s working and thanks for your contributions.