Network configuration problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by anto6ik7, Aug 25, 2009.

1. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

Hi guys, I would really appreciate if someone could help me to sort my problem.

I am using vmware for learning. I have installed server 2003 and client XP. Server runs active directory and dns. 2 pcs currently are using static ip addresses.

I can log in to the domain and i can ping the server. However, the server does not the see the client. I can not ping the client from the server. Can someone explain me what could cause the problem?

I started to think that there are problems with vmware. However, i have disabled vmware dchp and i am using host-only on both machines.

My ip adress for the server is 192.168.10.1, mask 255.255.255.0, dns 192.168.10.1.
    Client uses ip addreess 192.168.10.1, mask 255.255.255.0

Does anyone have any suggestions?

thank you!!!

Certifications: MCDST, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA
  2. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Have a look at the client firewall settings

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  3. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

Thank you for the reply, i have tried this. i disabled the client's firewall before. it did not help. :(

4. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

Sorry to everyone. i have sorted the problem. Logged in as the domain administrator and i have disabled the firewall. it has helped me.

I disabled firewall using a local administrator before. This could be the reason why it did not work.

Can anyone explain me how it is possible to add setting to the firewall. So it can be running and it will not block my network configurations.

thank you,

Antons

5. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

OK mate, off the top of my head, as I havent got a windows client up and running at the moment, go to Network Connections, Right-click the used connection, properties, Advanced, Firewall Settings, Advanced and then click on the button by ICMP. I think its the top one - incoming echo request.

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

It should be applied via Group Policy on your Domain Controller.

Click over here mate

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

Thanks Maria. i have tried your method and it works.:)

Thanks Craigie anyway. i am going to read it now. i will try to use GPO. :)

8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Just wondering, why don't you do the MCDST first of all (judging by your previous posts)? Going thru that will help you more than just delving into the 70-270 & Windows 2003.

-Ken

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

i know what you mean. However, i like to sort the problems, search the internet and forums for the solution. I am doing the networking course in uni. So i should have some basic networking knowledge. Furthermore, I am currently on a placement. So i thought i could get some practicals skills. This was the reason to go for 70-270.

Do you really think it is not for me at the moment?

Thank you for the advice!

Antons

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I presume the above is a typo, as the server and client IP addresses are the same :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

ye, you are right. The server is on 192.168.10.1 and the client is on 192.168.10.2.

12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Cool.. just me being pedantic 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

I wanted to ask you a quick question. How difficult is 70-270? How much experience I need? How much i need to know about servers?

Thank you.

14. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Well it's only due to the type of questions that you've been asking, you may find it easier. Do I really think it's not for you? I don't know... I was offering alternatives. Quite a few of us have gone to Uni, have done various courses, just just remember that these are technology specific exams now so slightly different.

Whatever you decide, good luck with your studies :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  15. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

Thank you very much for your answer.

I will have a goal. I'll try to do my best to prepare to 70-270. If i am going really to struggle I will move to alternative way you suggested.

Thank you.