Network adaptors

Discussion in 'Networks' started by zxspectrum, Oct 24, 2008.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Just wondering if anyone has used these before

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=370101156324&Category=40995&_trksid=p3907.m29

Basically ive got an xbox 360 and i have xbox live. My box is in my room and way too far from the router, so rather than shell out 60 quid on a wireless adaptor which can only do 54mbps, im looking at something cheaper and faster, so i can play in my room etc. These adaptors use the mains and can goup to 200 mbps. Just wondered if anyone here uses them and if so what are they lke.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

not used those myself but my mate uses similar adapters and it works great for him.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Similar thing happened to me... I just bought a long piece of CAT-5, problem solved.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. Suttar

Suttar Byte Poster

I'm with Qs, on this one. Long piece of CAT 5, best and cheapest solution out there.

Certifications: Hnc Comp & Bsc Networking, ITIL v3
    WIP: CCNA
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Cat 5 will be the best solution, as it is full duplex.

Powerline/Homeplug stuff is excellent - I have one myself and 'it just works'.

However - if you don't think 54Mbps is fast enough then a mains-based system may not be better. Like WiFi they are half-duplex, and the speed will depend on the distance and the quality of the mains cable.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. zxspectrum

Well cheers for the advice guys

I bought a set that runs at 85mbps for 30 quid which is pretty good.

BTW, sorry for being dumb here but half Duplex???

Ed

7. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

If you're serious about gaming, there is nothing better than a proper wired connection.

Half-Duplex means that data is only transmitted in one direction at a time. Obviously, this is done so fast, you won't really notice on a day to day basis, but in a game where every millisecond counts, having a wired connection, which would be full-duplex (data sent both ways simultaneously), can give you the edge.

If you're playing casually, there won't be much difference, but if you want to be competitive, wired all the way!

8. zxspectrum

Ahh just been reading up on the duplex stuff.

Dare say ill notice it on call of duty 4 mainly when i start playing that again. I used to have the wired setup in my old gaff and even then i would notice lag, but i put that down to playing the yanks. Not another fault of theirs just that i do have a brain and that for my signal and their signal to reach what ever server we were playing on plus to take into effect the other 6 players (8 at a time), even with the speeds on either side and take into account that maybe not everyone is on the same line speed and also that millions of people will be playing so the server will be sorting out joe from jack etc.

Sorry for the long winded response.

Ed