Network adaptors

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by zxspectrum, Jul 5, 2008.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Im fishing for information regarding these wireless adaptors that you plug into the mains.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2x-85mbps-Hom...rkparms=72:12|39:1|65:12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

The above is what im looking at getting

My question is for people who use them for online gamaing. I want to use xbox live service but i dont want to pay 70 quid for a wireless adaptor that only will go at 54mbps, so thought that this would be a better alternative.

If anyone has this connectino can they lease tell me how they get on with it

Cheers

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

They arent actually wireless adapters. They make use of the earth line in your propertys mains as another network cable. So you plug one in next to your router, and feed a network cable from the router to it. and plug the other at another location in your house, then a cable from it to whatever device you are running off it (or if you want to hook multiple devices up to it, you would need a switch/hub there first)

I've heard good reviews of them, but I've never used them myself, and have no idea on the lag for gaming. I suspect that it largely depends on the quality of the wiring in your property.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

These have been discussed here before - look for 'Homeplug'.

They *do* have a greater latency than a direct connection, but this is dependant on the quality of your mains wiring. However - this latency is less than a WiFi connection.

My experience with this is that on most situations you will get about 50Mbps, but as this is way higher than most people's broadband connection this figure is largely meaningless.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I have never used a homeplug set, I seem to remember they can be a bit limited in where you put them as they need to be on the same ring main.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Certainly this isn't true in my house - but I suspect it may depend on your consumer unit and the wiring in general.

The only places I've not had them work were places that had 3-phase power, where I had no way of knowing what phase the two ends were on.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+