Network+ 2007 passmark?

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Muso, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Muso

Muso Bit Poster

Hi

I guess topic sais it all. I was wondering if anyone has any official information of what the new pass mark is? The following information is ripped from the profproofs.com:

Time Allocated: 90 minutes per exam
    Total marks: Graded from 100-900 marks
    Minimum Pass Marks: 554
    Number Of Questions: 85 questions per exam

Im doing some old 2003 transcender exams at the moment before I buy the new 2005 ones and I got 655/900 on a test but they said I had failed but if the actual passmark on the comptia is 554 I would have passed right? Is transcender maybe bumping up the passmark just be hard arses? Transcender exam sais 750/900 is their passmark. All this stuff is very confusing I wish there was an official practise test as theres no way to really know what they buggers want! Oh yea my exam is next friday I'm in the memorisation stages at the moment, uyou know all those horrible useless little facts which they love to test you on

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Comparing the transcender mock test and the CompTIA exam is like comparing apples and oranges. Yes, they both test on the same content, but how the tests are developed and weighted is completely different. In other words, the two tests aren't standardized on one another. They were developed by two different organizations using two different methods.

Don't pay so much attention to the numbers. The whole idea behind the exam is to demonstrate that you know general networking to a particular standard. Pay attention to the actual *learning* of the content. After all is said and done, when you are working in an IT environment, no one will care about how you scored on the exam. They'll care about whether or not you know what you're doing. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yes. Not because they're being hard arses... but because they want to artificially encourage you to study and study and study before you go into the real exam.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Muso

Muso Bit Poster

Hey don't get me wrong guys I'm not being lazy or anything I have done a degree in computing and got my A+ last year. Ive been studying network+ for a few months I just find it frustrating that theres no way of exactley knowing which sort of questions will come up in the actual tests? Ive looked around and it doesnt look there are any official test papers, The actual A+ exam was much easier than the transcender tests I used to prepare for it so I'm hoping the same will be with the network+. So does anyone know what the pass mark is for the 2007? is it still marked from 100-900? I find this very confusing why do they give 100 points away?

5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Here are the pass marks/scores: 554 (100-900 Scale), see here (and click specs).

I don't know what you mean by "any official test papers" if you know your subject in and out and are doing well on Transcender, you shouldn't need to worry.

Comptia do not release official test papers out, however there are alot of test sims out there, Transcender, Preplogic, Measure-Up, Boson, etc...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. BosonMichael

I'm not sure what you mean by "official test papers". You don't need to know the exact questions that are on the exam... that would be cheating. There are shady companies that offer the exact questions for sale... but using them can get you decertified for life.

This isn't about passing an exam... this is about learning the concepts you need to help you be a better tech. If you have a complete understanding of the concepts, you'll be able to pass, even without knowing the "exact exam questions". You don't need them. You simply need to know the concepts.

The pass mark for the Network+ exam is exactly what CompTIA states on their Web site: 554.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

In the MM book it says the pass mark is 646. I guess this is wrong as the CompTIA is more accuarte. 554 is better then 646 anyway :D

Certifications: A few.
  8. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Don't concentrate on the score in your practice tests. You should be aiming for 90% or higher - meaning you know the material. If you can average a 90%+ in the practice sessions you're probably ready for the real test. If you're barely passing the practice tests, you are not adequately prepared for the real test.

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

If you knew the *exact* questions that were going to be on the test, that would be cheating. As I said before, concentrate on learning the material. The test will take care of itself.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. BosonMichael

Always check the vendor Web site... books eventually become outdated. Can't fault Meyers; McGraw Hill's not gonna publish a new reprint of a book every time the passing score changes. :)

11. Muso

Muso Bit Poster

Hi guys thanks for clearing up that pass mark stuff!

Any ideas why they grade from 100-900? I mean surely this is the same as grading from 0-800?

12. BosonMichael

No idea... if they have their reasons, they're not telling. Perhaps it's to keep people from saying, "You need such-and-such a percentage score to pass".

13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Its probably a bit like tests I used to do in primary school were you got marked just for filling in your name, so with these exams you get 100 points for turning up. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?