Netware to AD then big neglected mess

Discussion in 'Networks' started by skulkerboyo, Jun 16, 2010.

1. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Hi
    I'm going to attempt to bring the AD setup at my company inline with the rest of the world. My proposal has been accepted and everything and everyone planned and nicely on board. My gift to them before I leave in August I guess:rolleyes:

One thing though. I need to find a tool that can give me info about groups. I.E. whether they're used or any info that could be useful for that matter.
    As my company migrated from netware years ago with little care for AD or its capabilities the structure is a mess and no-one really knows what many of the groups do. Groups have been created willy nilly seemingly with an ou for just about everything and everyone.
    Documentation only really kicked in when I came on board.

The netware migration adds extra complexity as it appears that during the migration it took netware equivelant of OU's and turned them into groups with a $ in front. Never seen this before as I've never been in a netware environment

We don't use Exchange which could have been a factor. Most of our other technologies such as dns are all linux driven. For this reason there has always been a sense that the MS stuff (AD included) was a necessary evil just for desktops and some server related stuff. Very messy

Anyone else worked somewhere like this? Any advice?

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

We have netware at our place, and I do understand that a migration is tricky to say the least, my advice to you is borrow a tardis go back to the time of the migration and get them to do it properly and actually look at the results they are getting rather than next next finish!

Sounds to me like it would be easier to do a bit of weekend double bubble, blast away the current mess and start again afresh.

Sorry nothing helpful here but I feel your pain and I'm sure someone will have a tool tucked away for tracing what groups do.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. skulkerboyo

Thats pretty much what I'm doing.Its been a slog just getting the proposal done and accepted. Luckily we have very few linked GPO's.

Looking for something to help me interrogate the setup and pull off alist of groups with members and dependancies etc
    I'll be trying to find something this evening. Just thought I'd throw it out there in the hopes someone has had to do a similar investigation

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
  4. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

There was an ad beside your post :D maybe that will be of use

http://www.manageengine.com/products/ad-manager/active_directory_group_reports.html

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  5. skulkerboyo

Maybe I should stop blocking ads 8)