netstat results

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Boycie, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

With just the homepage of Certforums open on my browser when I type the netstat command I get the result seen in the attachment

Where has the amazon link come from :blink

Attached Files:

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. KeithNN

KeithNN Byte Poster

I think one or more of those images for reviewed items are linked from the Amazon site.

Certifications: MCSA/MCSE, MCDST, MOS Mstr, Sec+,Net+,A+
    WIP: 70-284
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Thanks Keith- it would make sense :oops:
    Sorry, if it seemed a daft question but I want to try and cover every possible corner in preperation for my Network +

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

We also have a link to Amazon half way down the left hand side of the Homepage. Possibly that's you answer.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Connections are very dynamic, generally very numerous, and not often much to be concerned with
    every image on the site that links to another server counts as another connection to another place, its generally nothing to be worrying about, its just showing you all the numerous connections your systems making, if you have some IM running and a few websites open this can lead to pages of connections lol

but the amazon connection is likely to pull the image on the front page from the amazon servers
    a link itself will NOT create a connection until its clicked, this is for obvious reasons :)
    however an image is in essence, a loaded link

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Thanks Gav. The thought did enter my mind but I don't know anything about web design and was curious as to why Amazon were on the netstat list when there is a link to Symantec which isn't listed :blink

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Id say the symantec images static nature is leading it to be cached locally (this is backed up by the speed its loading in my browser) where as the amazon one is could well be a dynamicly generated image and hence unable to be cached, this leads to the slow loading time and connection to the amazon servers every time its requested

although both are externally linked images, the fact ones loaded from cache means no connection to the original server is required unless the image changes

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Thanks Ryan.

Another quality explanation. God, I am glad you are aboard :hug

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Thanks trip. Another bookmark added to my Network + training literature. :hug