Netgear WPN824 v2 is doing my head in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Networks' started by delorean, Mar 20, 2008.

1. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Ok i'm at the verge of smashing this bloody 'thing' to pieces very shortly. Here's the story...

So I picked up a Netgear Rangemax WPN824 v2 Wireless Router today for a handsome price. The first thing I did was a factory reset (because I bought the device 'used', it does work though I can confirm). I then put the supplied CD in and followed the step by step wizard (to connect my Netopia modem to the Netgear router which would then magically set itself up so I can connect to the router wired or wirelessly).

So the wizard goes through all the steps and everything is fine. Then when I eventually get the wizard to move to the actually router config in the browser it says it is testing for an internet connection and is unable to find one (odd considering that during the wizard it said it could find one).

My modem assigns an IP address etc using DHCP from the ISP. The Netgear router picks all this info up etc etc. Even the Network Connections icons say everything is fine, heck I can even set up and connect to the modem wirelessly!

But with all of the above said, I can't surf the internet, or do anything else for that matter.

I will finish with a vulgar tirade (just to release some anger!!)

!#$!%&@**&@^#^%!%$$#!!!!!!&@^@%@^^^!!!!%%$$$###@!!!!

Phew!

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Is the firewall blocking the connection to the tinternet?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Nope. Just have Windows Firewall running at the moment, nothing else either software or hardware.

4. greenbrucelee

you have the routers firewall off? mmmmmmmmm strange can't think of what it could be, I must go to bed I am knackered.

Hope it works out, don't smash it up yet.

5. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I'm going to leave the router in the corner, out of my line of sight, until you awaken tomorrow. The future fate of this router lies in your hands!!

Sleep well!!! :D

6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Had the same problem, must be some kinda bug....
    ...i had to go throught the settings at least 3x before it actually picked up an 'net connection, even though the DHCP service was working fine... Once it picked up, stored the setting to hdd...

7. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Is yours a v3? Just wondered because if it's a v2 i'm wondering if it's a flaw with the v2 hardware? That said I have updated the router to the latest firmware (because I ran out of ideas of what to do next).

I've tried the wizard from CD (and manually) about 954,321.75 times and it's always the same result. I feel like I've gone 84 rounds (of me being beaten to death) with Floyd Mayweather, drunk 84,000 bottles of Jack Daniels Single Barrel and woken up with the most excruciating hangover in the history of mankind and to top it off I find I've just had it off with Pat Butcher the night before (although in real life we know that would be an impossibility to give her one :D).

I HATE THIS STUPID THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:police:behead:box:brancard:juggle:cussing:mad

8. Mr.Cheeks

cant remember what firmware it is (same firmware that it was shipped with, have not updated it) and i wont be home until end of the week to find out.
    take it down to a mates, and see if it works, if not, then could be a dodgy device?

9. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Yeah I will try it out tomorrow on a box at work, see if that solves it. If it doesn't I'm going to throw it in to the sea!!! :D

10. Mr.Cheeks

better still, post it to me!
    good luck

11. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

The stupid thing is, I have another Netgear wireless router (a Netgear WGT624 v2 Wireless Firewall Router), and that works with no problems at all. No issues, no setup, no nothing. Just connect my Netopia modem to the Netgear router and that's it!

I can login to the router, set up wireless and away I go. I only wanted this new Rangemax thing because a) it was only CI$20 and b) it's got a bit more range than the WGT264 (which I need to use the internet across my home).

I'm totally stumped as to why it refuses to work.

12. Mr.Cheeks

Would it not of been easier to buy a range extender?

13. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Not at the prices they charge for them here... :(

14. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

You're not going to believe this but....

15. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

can we assume if you connect the modem straight to the computer it works fine and you can connect?

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  16. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Yep. We can also assume for absolutely no reason at all last night the router just decided it wanted to work. Currently it's working just fine....until I have to unplug it in a few days to move it to the office upstairs. Then we'll see what happens!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch this space, it could get messy.... Mr. Cheeks, also watch your mailbox for a router possibly heading your way. And greenbrucelee, you can go get some sleep, the router works...for now. :D

17. greenbrucelee

Maybe it just needed to get to room temperature or something :blink I find if my router stops working then I unplug it for 10 minutes then plug it back in and it works.

I think sometimes with IT related issues a switch of & on is good starting block.

18. Mr.Cheeks

Mailbox is easy to set up, just enter the details, username/password / pop3/imap settings and it will direct any alerts to you...