Netflow Apps

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by keconnect sparky, Dec 12, 2011.

1. keconnect sparky

keconnect sparky Nibble Poster

Hi peeps,

I have been playing with netflow recently (been using it at home for a while now, but now getting to play around at work with it) can anyone recommend any netflow collectors....that aren't TTOOOoooo pricey! as all of them seem to get you on licensing or interfaces or extra modules etc

i have been looking at solarwinds netflow analyzer, but pricing is WAY to much for this, i have researched so far;

scrutinizer
    ntop
    prtg

I know some of these are free, but with limitations and they vary from product to product, but wondered what everyone else is using? or do you use the free ones?

Tar

Certifications: MCP, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA-S
    WIP: CCNP (ROUTE)
  2. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

Sparky,

I have recently been playing with this for our customers and the fact my company bourght 1000 licenses for PRTG meant i got to use it as a netflow collector!!

I think PRTG is awesome! the netflow stuff is brilliant for finding suspect machines that are using torrents!! :-: already caught one of them in their lunch break! hehe! :twisted:

The graphs are good, they show all of the traffic on one graph which shows exactly what was going on at any one time! The top talkers stuff is brilliant, where it collects the information about what ip was speaking to what ip.... very interesting to find out exactly what machine was speaking to what on a 5-15 minute interval.

The only down side to PRTG at the moment is you cant run a report to show you the top talkers which is the one i would have liked to send to the customer on a regular basis.

But to sum up, PRTG + Netflow on a server is pretty cool!! You could use the free version of PRTG which comes with 10 licenses and as the netflow collector is 1 sensor, you can monitor 10 routers via netflow on the free version!! :lol:

"I HOPE THIS HAS BEEN INFORMATIVE TO YOU AND ID LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR LISTENING!" 8)

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Wireless & CCNA Security
    WIP: CCIE V5 (when its out)
  3. keconnect sparky

keconnect sparky Nibble Poster

lol
    Cheers dude, hope you passed TSHOOT exam and got ya NP :biggrin

I really like solarwinds NFA .... but maybe we will keep it on the back burner when we want some short/intrim monitoring and pretty graphs etc, it has some kool features for exporting/generating reports

I have played with PRTG before, maybe ill have a look at that again, but i really like the look of ntop at mo so will see how that goes

Cheers

Certifications: MCP, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA-S
    WIP: CCNP (ROUTE)
  4. PlixerBen

PlixerBen New Member

Sparky,

I have to say I may be biased in my opinion, but I will give you some facts.

Scrutinizer is a great product. It comes with a 30 day evaluation out of the box with full functionality. The free version of the product supports up to 5 flow sending devices. It's really easy to set up as well.

Solarwinds and PRTG are fantastic tools. Try Lancope as well. They will all give you the information you want. Try out the user interfaces to see which one you like better.

Thanks,
    Ben

Certifications: Blue Belt in BJJ