Netbooks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zxspectrum, Jan 5, 2011.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

May sound daft but im thinking ofd getting a netbook, mainly for if i go back into the hozzy and i can be getting on with something. Now i know some are 3G, so doe that mean i need a dongle, and if so could i insert my own sim in that dongle, as i have unlimited internet on my mobile phone plan, or can i just slip my simcard into the net book??

Also is anyone selling a decent netbook??? Or has one that they recommend, i really font want to pay mor than 200 for a new one to be honest, althoguh i will if its pretty decnet, im not bothered about the OS, ill be happy with XP, especially as it should run ok with a gig of ram??

And finally, and maybe i should of started with this, happy new year to everyone on the forum, hpe you all have a good one.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

ah, something like This?

3. zxspectrum

And they say sarcasms dead.

I was after opinions from people on here for a reason, as joe public seldomly will go into issues relating to the type of netbook, plus some of the ne i read on amazon, i get the feeling they are posted by people who work for the manufacturers.

And i was hoping that someone may of come out and said, you want to get this netbooks beacuse, etc blah blah, and its performance is awesome etc blah blah.

Next time ill start my sentence, ive been on gooogle and other search engines but im still not sure as what to get in reagrds to a netbook.

Ed

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I dunno, Ed. I've got a six-year-old laptop that's still running strong. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I'm on an Asus eee 1018p which I'm fond of. Netbooks have really come along, 10hr battery on this, I've put an extra gb mem in it but it runs fine with 1gb. Asus do some crcking entry netbooks, 1001 I think, check them out. It was either this or an MSI Wind for me

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I had a brief go of one at work and wasnt impressed with it TBH, it was running an atom processor and seemed to be struggling, all i wanted to do was convert a .PDF into excel document and i gave up in the end, i would personally rather have a laptop as its far quicker and you can get a lot better spec for the money.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  7. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Really?? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I'd look at Samsung and Asus for netbooks.

Maybe also consider the NVidia ION processor and getting dual core Atom like N550.

Samsung NF310 or Asus Eee PC 1015PN maybe.

As far as I can tell Netbooks are only good for basic web browsing and word processing, emails etc. Maybe the odd movie.

If you want to work on it I'd look at proper light weight 14 inch notebooks, again Samsung and Asus do some excellent models.

You can get a real 6-7 hours on decent laptops now, netbooks battery life will go down from 10 hours if you get one with a decent spec and try playing a HD movie etc.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  9. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

I can recommend the Acer Aspire One D255. I purchased this for my wife for Christmas and it's not struggled with anything I've asked of it to date. 1GB of DDR3 Ram, Wirelss N Card (not dual band, 2.4ghz only). Windows 7 Starter and an N550 Dual Core Processor. I've also stuck on office 2010 and noticed no performance issues, might be slightly over budget though, I think I paid about £279 from PC World. I dare say it's advertised cheaper elsewhere, it was xmas eve when I bought it without much of a price comparison.
    As an extra bonus it also has a dual boot function where you can use Android instead of windows, it's meant to be for primarily getting on to the web faster, personally I have not noticed any speed advantage and have just set it to boot straight to Win7, battery life is also impressive, i'd say its averaging about 8 hours at present.

I must add that having just forked out nearly £1k for a new Sony Core I7 laptop for myself it's pretty annoying when my missus is already browsing away while my machine is still starting up.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  10. zxspectrum

Cheers for the head up there guys, thats all i want if for, word processing and web browsing.

Sparky, aye i have unlimited net access, i got that deal when they were offering like sweets, they wanted me to upgrade with them which i did, got myself a new nokia N8 which went on ebay, and kept using my iphone 4, i did get a scare when trhey sent me messages telling me that my data usage was up and id be charged, but so far nothing has come of that, and its been 2 months.

Ed

11. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Cool, just be careful though. Don't want to be hit with a big bill somewhere down line. Have they sent you any revised T&Cs on your contract?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

That's more like it son