1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.NET Spectrum emulator

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JonnyMX, May 26, 2010.

1. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

How awesome is this?
    I've had a week of nostalgia...

http://www.zxspectrum4.net/index.php

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have zx spin. Been playing saboteur all week :D just wish I could find a proper version of Knightlore

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Is it any different to the emulators that have been doing the rounds for years?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

No, but it's a thing of beauty - especialy the tape deck for those that miss the wheezing and shrieking of old. And it's .net - that's just a cool use of technology. :biggrin

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yeah - some people have turned really arsey over the last few years.
    I used to have them all from the spectrum archives and didn't keep the file when I changed PC.
    Now a load of them are 'distribution denied'.
    Seems a bit pointless to me at this late stage.

Robin of the Wood was one of my favorites - no idea why.
    It was tedious and frustrating, but I suppose they all were back then...

6. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Interesting! I will check this out when I get time. I have used the Spectaculator emulator :-

http://www.spectaculator.com/

to play the classic ZX game Manic Miner. I found it to be an excellent emulator, it can even emulate loading from tape with realistic tape loading noises and the blue and yellow horizontal lines - can't beat that for nostalgia.

On WorldofSpectrum.org :-

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/

there is a massive archive of games and software for the ZX Spectrum and also documentation. For those learning programming concepts the old DK Step-by-Step Programming Guides for the ZX are a pretty good read.

On BBC4 last week they screened the film 'Micro Men' about Clive Sinclair and Acorn Computers, and the race to produce an affordable home computer for under £100.

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
    WIP: Maths
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yeah it seem as if there is quite a lot of titles that are denied even from studios that closed down years ago like Ocean and such. Knightlore was a brilliant game.

At the moment I have
    Afterburn
    Operation wolf
    Renegade
    Yie ar Kung fu
    Saboteur
    Paper boy
    Green Beret

still looking for others like Rambo, Cobra (with the flying cheeseburgers) :), Starwars and For my Atari ST simulator am still lokking for Blodwych my favorite RPG dungeonmaster type game of all time.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

worldofspectrum.org is the definitive source, but isn't speculator shareware?
    I like free, does me!

9. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Yes, Spectaculator is not free, its £16.50GBP, but that was a small price to pay to play Manic Miner again, pretty much a legend of a game in my view! It runs on Windows 7/Vista/XP and its pretty damn good, with virtual cassettes, and snapshots, and authentic spectrum keyboard click sound.

I actually owned an original ZX Spectrum but have no idea what happened to it, I wish I had kept it, an amazing piece of computer history.

The worldofspectrum.org has good collection of books and manuals etc such as the DK ones I mentioned above - pretty interesting reading if you have the time.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
    WIP: Maths
  10. Rik

Rik Nibble Poster

I liked Speculator soo much I bought it :)

Its the best Spectrum Emulator around.

I am sure I have ALL the ZX Spectrum Romset, so if anyone wants any roms, send me a PM or request here and I can upload *somewhere*

Not here I should add :)